ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - MB + CPU Cooler (size) compatibility? (URGENT!)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

MB + CPU Cooler (size) compatibility? (URGENT!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MB + CPU Cooler (size) compatibility? (URGENT!)
    Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 3:47am
Hello Everyone,

I'd like to ask your help about building my new desktop computer.

I  building my new system in the next few days, but I couldn't figure out what air CPU cooler I should choose to my new CPU and MB. I always afraid of that my CPU cooler will too wide and will cover any of my RAM slots what I don't want because I will need all RAM slots to use.

Now I'd like to build a small and silent (mATX) system for gaming and multimedia, one of the most important to be SILENT (and powerful) configuration, so I take a big care on the case, the system coolers, and to choose a very silent but effective AIR cooling to the CPU (cost doesn't matter!).

I need your help to choose the most silent and effective CPU cooler for the system!

The MB:
ASRock Z170M Extreme4 (microATX)
http://asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170M%20Extreme4/index.us.asp

CPU:
Intel i7-6700 (non-K version!)

RAM:
4x8GB (32GB) DDR4 3200MHz Vengeance LPX Black CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (x2)
It is important because of the memory's dimensions: 135mm x 7mm x 33.5mm (L x W x H)

My microATX case limitation for the CPU's length is: 175mm

One of my friends offered my the following CPU cooler on half price, but I have to decide until tomorrow:

Be! Quiet Dark Rock 3 PRO
http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/482
I checked, from the official parameters of the CPU, the RAM modules can fit under all memory slots, but is it true or false? I don't know... anybody?

The big question is, how much space I have at ASRock Z170M Extreme4 board? Will it fit, or it will conflict to the RAM slots? I did not find any detailed specification on the net about the MB dimensions.

The CPU cooler's detailed dimensions can be find here:
 http://www.bequiet.com/volumes/PDM/_products/bk019/bk019_dim_en.pdf

Can anybody help me about this compatibility question?

If the CPU cooler is too big and will cause compatibility problem to the RAM slots, can anybody recommend me "the best", the most silent but effective air cooling for my CPU what will fit to my MB too?

Thank You for everybody!

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

P-ter
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:50am
Originally posted by P-ter P-ter wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to ask your help about building my new desktop computer.

I  building my new system in the next few days, but I couldn't figure out what air CPU cooler I should choose to my new CPU and MB. I always afraid of that my CPU cooler will too wide and will cover any of my RAM slots what I don't want because I will need all RAM slots to use.

Now I'd like to build a small and silent (mATX) system for gaming and multimedia, one of the most important to be SILENT (and powerful) configuration, so I take a big care on the case, the system coolers, and to choose a very silent but effective AIR cooling to the CPU (cost doesn't matter!).

I need your help to choose the most silent and effective CPU cooler for the system!

The MB:
ASRock Z170M Extreme4 (microATX)
http://asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170M%20Extreme4/index.us.asp

CPU:
Intel i7-6700 (non-K version!)

RAM:
4x8GB (32GB) DDR4 3200MHz Vengeance LPX Black CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (x2)
It is important because of the memory's dimensions: 135mm x 7mm x 33.5mm (L x W x H)

My microATX case limitation for the CPU's length is: 175mm

One of my friends offered my the following CPU cooler on half price, but I have to decide until tomorrow:

Be! Quiet Dark Rock 3 PRO
http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/482
I checked, from the official parameters of the CPU, the RAM modules can fit under all memory slots, but is it true or false? I don't know... anybody?

The big question is, how much space I have at ASRock Z170M Extreme4 board? Will it fit, or it will conflict to the RAM slots? I did not find any detailed specification on the net about the MB dimensions.

The CPU cooler's detailed dimensions can be find here:
 http://www.bequiet.com/volumes/PDM/_products/bk019/bk019_dim_en.pdf

Can anybody help me about this compatibility question?

If the CPU cooler is too big and will cause compatibility problem to the RAM slots, can anybody recommend me "the best", the most silent but effective air cooling for my CPU what will fit to my MB too?

Thank You for everybody!

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

P-ter

Silent and powerful are usually mutually exclusive attributes. But since you will be running the CPU without any OC, cooling won't be a major problem.

You said the specs for the CPU cooler's clearance, and the height of your memory seem to fit, but still aren't sure? You would need someone that has this board, the CPU cooler you are considering, and your memory to be sure. Sorry, that is not me.

Your by-tomorrow time limit may have already expired.

I can tell you that even using that small board, the distance between the CPU socket and the DRAM slots is the same as a full sized ATX board. I use a large Noctua CPU cooler on my ASRock Z170 board, and my TridentZ memory that is taller than yours, has room.

Personally, I would be more concerned about the clearance between the the CPU cooler and the first PCIe x16 slot, if you are using a video card.

I see you are planning to use two unmatched memory kits in your board. 32GB of memory at 3200 will not be a simple memory OC for a four DIMM matched kit, much less two unmatched kits.

You asked "... the most silent but effective air cooling for my CPU what will fit to my MB too?", but we don't know if you are using a video card, or the PC case model.

You also wrote: My microATX case limitation for the CPU's length is: 175mm

Is that the CPU cooler's height limitation? Or is length (width) also a limitation?

Silent and "Best" are subjective, I can't decide those things for anyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic