ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99E-itx/ac bricked bios

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 5:54am
Instant flash seems to be picky about the USB stick and how it is formatted. It definitely needs better error handling as it is such a critical application. Strangely i found cases where 
- it will scan the files (showing their names on screen) but then say it cant find any file
- find the file then freeze with no error requiring a reset. Very scary.
What worked for me was a new (USB3) stick on rear port formatted as FAT32 from Windows.

Please see my post on the 3.x BIOS which I have managed to flash but the system wont boot.
vmali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 4:25pm
The model number is the following :

057F097-00160 80-MXGX80-A1A02  YN

Best Regards
vmali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 8:41pm
Still no solution to my issue.

This is the first and last time to spend my money to asrock product.  
The support is nowhere to be found. The only answer i got is to try to solve to issue with everything unplugged , except the cpu and the cooler and 1 ram, Which i had already tested.

I think that is  very bad for a company to provide such unstable products/services in such critical parts, especially in the high end models.

Best Regards.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by vmali vmali wrote:

Still no solution to my issue.

This is the first and last time to spend my money to asrock product.  
The support is nowhere to be found. The only answer i got is to try to solve to issue with everything unplugged , except the cpu and the cooler and 1 ram, Which i had already tested.

I think that is  very bad for a company to provide such unstable products/services in such critical parts, especially in the high end models.

Best Regards.

So you are attempting to flash the UEFI in this board, without knowing if you have a stable build yet. The "... BIOS restarting..." that you mentioned makes me wonder about memory compatibility, although it did complete POST. Not even a first OS installation yet.

The "Processing Crashless feature" failed, since you did not have a USB flash drive in a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel, and were using Internet Flash.

I doubt any UEFI file even began downloading, since a new board has no network connection configured yet. What Internet connection did you try to use?

I have used Instant Flash countless times on my 10+ ASRock boards. I update to every UEFI version available as a test as soon as it is available, including Beta versions. I have never had an Instant Flash failure, not once. Instant Flash is the most reliable UEFI/BIOS update method. Once an OS is installed, and an Internet connection has been established and is known to be working well, then you could use Internet Flash, with a USB flash drive in a USB 2.0 port on the IO panel.

Your characterization of "... such unstable products/services in such critical parts..." is simply false. If it was true, this forum would be filled with nothing but posts about failed UEFI updates. That is not the case. Do you really believe you are the first person to discover a problem with a BIOS update method that has been used for years? If there is something wrong with an ASRock board that I am using, ASRock hears about it. I have never had to complain about Instant Flash.

I gave you a solution to your problem in my first reply, on page one. If you have corrupted your BIOS so much that it cannot be recovered, you will need a new BIOS chip. You are hoping for a quick, easy fix, which is normal but may not be possible.

Did you notice all the recommendations in reviews of this board, in its Overview page?

Sorry to say, but you attempted to perform an Internet Flash without following the correct procedure, in a build of unknown stability, that never completed an OS installation, with an non-configured and unconnected Internet connection.

At the top of the UEFI/BIOS download page list, is this warning:

We don?™t recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally. ASRock® assumes no responsibility for any damages caused by improper operations of downloading or updating the BIOS. Before you download or update the BIOS, please read " (How to Update)" below carefully.

So many missing details, so let the questions begin:

System hardware specs, CPU, memory (Full memory model number please), PSU, video card.

How did you test your CPU, CPU cooler, and single memory stick, if you could not use the UEFI/BIOS, as you said earlier in this thread?

What network connection type did you use?

At this point, you may have a corrupted UEFI/BIOS. I don't know if a UEFI/BIOS recovery procedure will work for you, since simply putting an unzipped UEFI file on a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive seems to fail for you. We can try a UEFI/BIOS recovery procedure like this:

I use USB flash drives right out of their container. No need to do anything to them at all, except check if they work. They need to be FAT32 formatted, that's it. Download the UEFI .zip file on a PC, unzip the file, and copy the result to the main folder of the USB flash drive. If you are unzipping on the USB flash drive, just don't.

The USB flash drive should be put in a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel, at least until an OS with a built in USB 3.0 driver has been installed. That would be done on your X99E-ITX/ac PC, with it shut off.

Once the USB flash drive is in the USB 2.0 port, press the power button on the PC, and turn on your monitor. Sit back and see what happens. Don't press any keys on the keyboard, no need to enter the UEFI UI. I'm hoping a BIOS recovery procedure will start on its own.

If it does, just let it go, watch what happens. DO NOT REMOVE the USB flash drive when the PC restarts after the update. No need to do that.

If nothing happens, press the Reset button and go into the UEFI UI. Go into Tools and run the System Browser, and click the IO panel to see if the USB flash drive is recognized. If it is, you can try to run Instant Flash. Of course this all assumes a stable build on your part, which we don't know is the case yet.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 1:15pm
The sad fact is, BIOS update failures do happen, to all manufacturers. Every manufacturer has tried to come up with ways to mitigate this in some way. ASRock (as well as others) now ship most of their boards with a socketed BIOS ROM so when this eventuality does occur, which is rare, the board is not bricked and unusable. It is a simple matter of purchasing a new BIOS chip which is even preflashed with the BIOS version of your choice. 

Ultimately a bad flash is technically a user error. When a flash fails, it is always because of circumstances outside of the manufacturer's control. That isn't to say it is always the user's fault, other factors can play in, especially with internet flashing. This is why we always recommend Instant Flash as it will halt before flashing if there is a problem with the update file. Obviously turning off the PC (power outage for example) will brick the BIOS even with instant flash but it is, as Parsec noted, the safest and most reliable method.

Edited by Xaltar - 16 Sep 2016 at 1:23pm
vmali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 4:42pm
My Config is the following:

CPU : i7 5820k
RAM: Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 16GB Kit 3000MHz DDR4
VGA: Gigabyte 980ti Extreme Gaming
OOB CPU Cooler
PSU: Corsair HX 1200i

All the parts except cooler and mb where tested in another MB, and worked as expected.
The network worked just fine , and every part was recognized as excpected from the Bios.
BUT the system kept restarting at random times during the bios screens, that was the reason that i try to upgrade the bios, from 1.20 version. 

The process that you described is the one that i followed among many other variations. The result is that with any 1.X bios version the Logo shows up and after that the system Freezes , with any other version nothing happens.

Best Regards.
ocmuresan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocmuresan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 5:16am
Hello, it seems I have a similar problem. Did you solve the problem ? I even ordered a bios chip with the latest version but the boot procedure freezes with "62" error code. It seems to be some kind of Intel ME problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic