ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x470 Taichi bricked after update to 10.10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Termy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x470 Taichi bricked after update to 10.10
    Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 2:32pm
Hi,
yesterday i updated my x470 Taichi from UEFI 5.10 to 10.10.
Everything seemed normal, no errors and the "reboot with enter" at the end.
Unfortunately, after that the PC doesn´t post anymore.
It's stuck in a bootloop, the debug code segment display doesn't show anything.
I tried CMOS-Reset on the Backpane, that didn't help, then i tried removing the CMOS Battery for 4 hours and setting the CLRCMOS jumper, that had the small effect that now the CPU-Fans start up again. But still no post, no debug code or anything.
A real shame that this board doesn't yet have a flashback function :(

Is there any hope that the support might help me with this in an acceptable timeframe or is it not worth bothering filing a ticket?

In any case, at the very least i wanted to let others know that 10.10 might be a bit of a gamble.
upintheclouds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote upintheclouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 2:18am
I just want to share that I have had the same experience with the 10.X releases of the x470 Taichi Ultimate BIOS. I have tried all of 10.01, 10.10 and 10.11, and each one results in a completely bricked board, which boot loops infinitely and does not even produce POST codes. Clearing CMOS, re-seating or replacing RAM and CPU does nothing. This is happening with a 3700X, 3900X, and 5800X3D, so the problem is not down to using an older gen CPU, as advised against on the BIOS release notes. When I performed the update, I ensured that all BIOS versions were set to defaults, but fTPM was disabled. If there's some other step I missed, let me know, but im o these all seem very, very broken.

I have a FlashCat, and reverted to BIOS 8.01 successfully and this allows the board to boot again. This has proven to be my only option. I am disappointed, because I was hoping to see if these newer releases include Core Optimizer configuration, but they are utterly unusable.

Asrock, did you even test these? Is there some bridge version which I should be flashing between 8.01 and 10.X which you've since revoked? How dare you publish 3 broken BIOS versions for a board which is now out of warranty for almost all users?!

Termy, I would hope that they could offer you an option to re-flash your board back to a working version, considering that their last 3 published updates are completely broken. If not, you can DM me and I'll flash yours back to a working version for free.
Maverickcdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverickcdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 10:14am
I too have a bricked motherboard after updating 8.01 to 10.11

When using FlashCat was desoldering required?

Have a ticket started with them, see how long it takes to get a response
upintheclouds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote upintheclouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Maverickcdn Maverickcdn wrote:

When using FlashCat was desoldering required?

No. I just used an SOIC-16 test clip while the system was powered down. You could also use a cheaper EEPROM programmer (e.g. CH341a with a 1.8v converter board), but the flashcat software allows voltage selection (depends on model) and auto-detection of the flash chip.

It's come in handy a few times in the past when I changed BIOS without disabling RAM OC and got some bad bits programmed in, so keep that in mind when comparing a chip programmer to the cost of RMA shipping and/or a new board.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maverickcdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 7:39am
Originally posted by upintheclouds upintheclouds wrote:

No. I just used an SOIC-16 test clip while the system was powered down. You could also use a cheaper EEPROM programmer (e.g. CH341a with a 1.8v converter board), but the flashcat software allows voltage selection (depends on model) and auto-detection of the flash chip.

Thanks for the reply, bought a clip and CH341a w/1.8v on Amazon and gonna give it a try. Assuming you just used the 8.01 bios file from the Asrock site?

Its been a while since I've used a serial/eeprom flash tool but I think I can handle it
Termy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Termy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 4:49pm
I had already found a dealer that flashed my board for 20 bucks, so i guess i got lucky there - thanks for the offer though @upintheclouds ! :)

I've now got 10.11 running and it seems fine, but of course i don´t know if they did anything special to get 10.11 running. At least they didn´t mention anything.

The fact that i´m not the only one affected deals a pretty big blow to my trust in Asrock though :/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverickcdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:53pm
Thanks to @Termy and @upintheclouds for sharing their experience. Makes one feel better when you're not the only one experiencing an issue

I tried externally flashing 10.11 and still had no post but after reverting back to 8.01 Im back in business.

I suppose if anything this gave me a chance to tear down the system for cleaning maintenance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic