ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Pro4S system freeze

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tor11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tor11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Pro4S system freeze
    Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 2:11am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

What OS and version are you using?
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Quote How have you installed the basic drivers for your board?
I installed from an ASRock download page for my board, and later updated versions directly from either intel or Realtek.

Quote While the audio driver might be the problem (not saying it is), the distorted sound from the audio source is just a side affect of the system freezing in general, and would happen regardless of the reason for the freezing issue.
This is true. As I said it is only my guess, because it always happens when some media content is playing, but it also might be just a coincidence though.

Now I remembered there was some other problem with audio where all sounds were somewhat distorted while computer still running. This went away after I updated audio driver to a different version.

Quote Just to check, the Intel graphics also has an audio source (Z170 chipset), and if you are using the Intel graphics, you might also be using the Intel audio. You may have the Realtek audio configured as your audio source, just mentioning the situation that both exist.
I'm not sure I understand this correctly. I have not noticed option to switch between Realtek and Intel audio chipset in BIOS. Only "HD" vs "AC97". Default being HD I believe.

Quote You said this usually happens when "some media content is running. Do you just mean audio, or is that video?
Usually it is both audio/video. Either media player or YouTube, but I cannot be sure it was so in each and every case system froze this way.

Quote You said you are using the Intel graphics, what are you using as a video driver?
Intel drivers, installed with Intel Driver Update Utility which I used to find and update drivers before. I have not updated to latest Intel graphics driver version yet, as my previous updates did not solve the problem.

Quote In the past, I've had problems with the Adobe Flash player, that is used by web pages to display videos. Recently there have been several updates for the Adobe Flash player. Do you know if it is installed, and if so do you have the automatic update option enabled?
Yes, but as I said it (freeze) does happen also without Flash being involved (non-browser media playback).

Quote You mention you are using the version 7.00 UEFI/BIOS. Did you ever use a different version in the past?
Yes, probably all versions available. I think I had a record uptime with 3.50 version without freeze, but as always it also could be just a coincidence. I had system freeze with all BIOS versions since the v2.xx

Very hard to investigate this for me, system can be running several weeks without problem and then just freeze (exactly what happened today btw).

Only thing I can think of is to disable onboard audio in BIOS and use standalone audio card, then wait and see.

(by the way, email notification to subscribed threads, does not seem to work)

Edited by tor11 - 18 Nov 2016 at 2:25am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:46am
Originally posted by Joan23101942 Joan23101942 wrote:

Could someone please say whether this problem will ever get a reply and if not just where one should go in an attempt to get one because this computer is driving me round the bend?

Joan, there really is no problem, per se anyways.

Unless you happen to be one of the fortunate to have an ES Kaby Lake processor there is absolutely no need for you to have flashed up to 7.xx.

This is the problem when folks go chasing the latest BIOS for no need. 7.xx's desc says it all. Updates for future processors. Future.

Drop back as Zaltar explains and you'll stop rounding the bends.
Joan23101942 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joan23101942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:22pm
Could someone please say whether this problem will ever get a reply and if not just where one should go in an attempt to get one because this computer is driving me round the bend?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:51pm
I can confirm this, I am using the same board and rolled back my BIOS to an earlier version to 7.0 due to some erratic behavior and a few hard locks. Nothing too major by my reckoning but not what I would consider stable at all. 

I tried 7.00 just for testing purposes (largely due to this post) and met with very similar issues. These early support updates often have issues like this. I would avoid 7.xx entirely for now and possibly altogether if you do not plan to upgrade to a Kaby Lake CPU.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You mention you are using the version 7.00 UEFI/BIOS. Did you ever use a different version in the past?

Exactly. Here's another graphics issue with the Kaby Lake 7.00 BIOS parsec.

Guys and gals, drop back to BIOS 3.50 on the Z170 Pro4S and post the results.

7.00 is somewhat flaky unless you have an ES Kaby processor. This BIOS ONLY addresses updating two item for Kaby yet it seems to affect more than that fol those with Skylake processors.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:14am
Originally posted by tor11 tor11 wrote:

Hi, since I bought this board my system is freezing at random times.

There is no error messages, no BSOD, everything just stops moving. I can't pinpoint the cause, sometimes it happens after few hours of use, sometimes after several weeks (I keep my system always on).

Only thing to do is a hard reset.

I am on BIOS v7 now, I already had system freezing couple of times.

I tried system stress applications or memory tests, none of those caused freeze or showed any errors.

Only thing that could perhaps point to cause of the problem is, that it usually happens when some media content is running (not sure if just an accident though).

For example, during the video playback, system will freeze and speakers are playing one distorted sound.

I tried also various version of audio drivers, but so far could not find a 100% working ones. (If sound device is indeed an issue).

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

What OS and version are you using?

How have you installed the basic drivers for your board?

While the audio driver might be the problem (not saying it is), the distorted sound from the audio source is just a side affect of the system freezing in general, and would happen regardless of the reason for the freezing issue.

Just to check, the Intel graphics also has an audio source (Z170 chipset), and if you are using the Intel graphics, you might also be using the Intel audio. You may have the Realtek audio configured as your audio source, just mentioning the situation that both exist.

You said this usually happens when "some media content is running. Do you just mean audio, or is that video?

You said you are using the Intel graphics, what are you using as a video driver?

In the past, I've had problems with the Adobe Flash player, that is used by web pages to display videos. Recently there have been several updates for the Adobe Flash player. Do you know if it is installed, and if so do you have the automatic update option enabled?

You mention you are using the version 7.00 UEFI/BIOS. Did you ever use a different version in the past?
Bricky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:11am
I posted the following because it appeared to be like my problem.  If it dosent fit I apologise.
 Ever since Windows 10 was installed nearly every time I open an Internet page with a graphics content the computer freezes and I sometimes have to switch it off.  I assume it is the Graphics board does not have an effective driver.
ASRock H67M-GE
tor11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tor11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 6:54am
Yes, onboard graphics only.

I have read about exactly same problem with ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0. It has the same audio chipset (Realtek ALC892). Might be just a coincidence, I don't know.
J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 4:51pm
Hello,

What graphics card or HD530?
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
tor11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tor11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 4:18pm
Hi, since I bought this board my system is freezing at random times.

There is no error messages, no BSOD, everything just stops moving. I can't pinpoint the cause, sometimes it happens after few hours of use, sometimes after several weeks (I keep my system always on).

Only thing to do is a hard reset.

I am on BIOS v7 now, I already had system freezing couple of times.

I tried system stress applications or memory tests, none of those caused freeze or showed any errors.

Only thing that could perhaps point to cause of the problem is, that it usually happens when some media content is running (not sure if just an accident though).

For example, during the video playback, system will freeze and speakers are playing one distorted sound.

I tried also various version of audio drivers, but so far could not find a 100% working ones. (If sound device is indeed an issue).

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic