ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suddenly Stopped Working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurbodTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 3:12pm
Unfortunately not :( it was a good shout though, as soon as I loosened the cooler after pulling everything apart, I forgot the cpu wasn't the old pin style and was just laid in so could easily have been moved.

I keep putting off learning how to use a voltmeter. I'll buy one today and learn how to use it and give that a shot!

With everything cleared and reset I still get the IE error and refusing to power down and no usb 3.0, even with different hdd so I think I've ruled out a software issue.

If the psu comes back fine I've emailed scan asking for advise on what they would like sent back ready to RMA it. If the board is faulty I might go for a different one.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:02pm
No DVOM needed.

Grab HWiNFO or the like. It'll monitor voltages from the Nouvoton chip.

Edited by wardog - 21 Nov 2016 at 7:02pm
TurbodTurtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurbodTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

No DVOM needed.

Grab HWiNFO or the like. It'll monitor voltages from the Nouvoton chip.

Edit: See below

Edited by TurbodTurtle - 22 Nov 2016 at 11:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurbodTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:24pm
Sorry i doubted my own abilities!

HWiNFO report

I'm currently running MemTest86, so far 49% pass

Edited by TurbodTurtle - 22 Nov 2016 at 11:53pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 1:13am
I don't have a Z170 to compare to, but ............

That big swing in AUXTIN1 looks like you don't have a fan blowing over the VRM section of your motherboard.

When water-cooling this is a necessity as the pump now doesn't blow cooling air over the VRMs and other parts surrounding the CPU socket.

So, no fan I'm guessing? Right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurbodTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 1:38am
All fans are disconnected currently (minus the pump and radiator fan). I'll try and find a photo of the board layout.

I have read an issue somewhere on AsRock boards about the VRM gettng really hot being a problem but i have no idea where it was.

When the screenshot was taken the pc had been on about 5 mins.

This is the board (not my exact one, from google) minus the CPU holder

Edited by TurbodTurtle - 23 Nov 2016 at 1:42am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 2:35am
I do have an ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board, and have used HWiNFO64 for years.

Every sensor reading shown in HWiNFO64 is not a valid reading. There are sensor outputs from the sensor chip that are not used. All of the AUXTIN readings (I get three) are not valid readings. You can tell by the range of values shown, that are simply impossible, or don't change much if at all. Others are duplicate readings.

AUXTIN1 for example, ranging from 0C to 124C, that's 32F to 255F. What component could possibly be 255F and still be functioning? You can edit out those readings with the Layout tab of the Config option.

My Z170 board shows the VRM temperatures, which TurbodTurtle may not have shown in his screen shot. Here is a sample of mine, with unnecessary readings edited out:

As you know, you PSU voltages are fine. So you don't see a VRM reading in HWiNFO64 for your board?

You read somewhere an issue with ASRock boards and the VRM temperature being hot? I'm sorry, but that is such a non-specific reference without any information that is essential to understanding the situation. You can see on my board, the VRM temperatures are 24C and 29C, hardly even warm.

What you read could have been about a low-end board with a small or no heat sink on the VRM chips, plus a very simple 4 + 1 (or less) phase design. Then that person was over clocking their CPU, with little to no case ventilation. Without context or any details, "information" like that is worthless. You can imagine the number of ASRock boards I have used over the years, the first one the Z77 Extreme4. I can honestly say I have never had any of my 10+ ASRock boards fail on me, or have problems. That does not mean any mother board is immune from problems, but ASRock products are not poor quality.

wardog and Xaltar can confirm for you that we have seen problems with PCs with ASRock boards in this forum, and after the person replaced his board with the same model, he still had the same problem.

I'm still picking on your SSD, did you ever run a manual TRIM (Optimize) command in Windows 10? That is in the Properties, Tools for each drive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurbodTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 12:47am
Thanks for all the help. The board is going back tomorrow for thorough testing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic