ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z87 OC Formula 12V connectors ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcproffsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z87 OC Formula 12V connectors ?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:00am
I just purchased a used Z87 OC Formula MB

Just wondering how to connect the two 12V male connectors coming from the PSU with 4 pins i each to the motherboard that has two female connectors with 8 pins in each ?

Edited by pcproffsen - 13 Jan 2017 at 7:01am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 11:00am
Moved from Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards _to_ Tech Support > Intel Motherboards.

Please provide your PSU Make and Model for us to take a peek at what you're working with there.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by pcproffsen pcproffsen wrote:

I just purchased a used Z87 OC Formula MB

Just wondering how to connect the two 12V male connectors coming from the PSU with 4 pins i each to the motherboard that has two female connectors with 8 pins in each ?

It's not necessary to connect a cable or connector on a cable to both of the eight pin CPU power connectors.

Those two power inputs are combined and go to the same place, the voltage regulators for the CPU. They are not separate and do not provide power to different things.

Some mother boards only have a four pin CPU power connector, which is why your PSU's CPU power cable has 4 + 4 pin design. That dual 4 pin, split connector is not meant to be shared between two, 8 pin CPU power connectors. Don't try to connect each four pin half to both of the eight pin connectors.

Just put both of the four pin connectors on the cable into one or the other of the two eight pin connectors on the board. It does not make any difference which one you use.

Dual eight pin CPU power connectors on a board are unusual, and might help only if you are doing extreme over clocking, and your PSU has two, eight pin CPU power cables.
pcproffsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcproffsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 2:54pm
So any of this would work !
http://prntscr.com/dv0oj6

But not this
http://prntscr.com/dv0op8

Or does all three work ?
pcproffsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcproffsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 6:51am
Problem !
But it might not at all be related to the above question.

I assembled everything and started the PC.
It starts, but turns off agen, and so on.
After a while it stops restsrting, but I get nothing on the screen.
If I reset/restart it does the same thing again.

What could cause this ?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 12:15pm

So any of this would work !
http://prntscr.com/dv0oj6

But not this
http://prntscr.com/dv0op8

Or does all three work ?

Now that I see your PSU has separate four pin CPU power cables, you could do any of the three ways in your pictures. But none of them is better than the others. To be safe, put both of them into one of the eight pin connectors, which one makes no difference.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 12:24pm

Problem !
But it might not at all be related to the above question.

I assembled everything and started the PC.
It starts, but turns off agen, and so on.
After a while it stops restsrting, but I get nothing on the screen.
If I reset/restart it does the same thing again.

What could cause this ?

For a new build, which is your situation, it could be many different things.

Your board has the Status OLED display at the bottom right side of the board, which will display a code continuously if a problem is detected.

When the PC is running, with nothing on the monitor, look at the status OLED display and tell us what code is shown. It should be two characters, numbers or letters.

A list of the hardware you are using is essential to help you diagnose the problem.

Edited by parsec - 14 Jan 2017 at 12:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic