ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No display signal and no POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by boxboxer boxboxer wrote:

Also, the psu was loaned to me from someone, so it's used

Almost every time we see "used power supply" it turns out to be the issue Wink
boxboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:18pm
Yeah, I've been suspecting that as well. The owner originally said the psu can be a little "moody," probably referring to its problem starting up. Though turning on the psu was a problem, all I had to do to get it back running was to jump start it, so I don't really know if there's any issues beyond that. There may be an issue with its ATX power connectors, but using a multimeter to test whether the connectors work is kinda inconvenient for me, time and financial wise. If I were to replace the psu as a fast and easy option, would you have any recommendations for one that is compatible and with the best price? Also, a big problem is the fact that the internal speaker isn't working, could that be the psu or mobo's fault? So would replacing the mobo also be necessary?
boxboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:19pm
And thanks for bearing with me!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:46pm
The PSU is the backbone of your system, if there is anything wrong with it, at all, replace it. The PSU should never be that thing you leave till last and buy whatever is cheapest or use what money you have left over. The PSU should be the first thing you research and buy (after you have picked out your parts). 

A 450w PSU should be more than enough for your system and allow you to upgrade a little here and there. Look for something with an 80+ Bronze rating from a known brand. Corsair, Evga, Seasonic, XFX, Cooler Master, Zalman, OCZ etc. If it costs less than $30 it is probably junk. I usually shoot for about the $40 mark for a 400 - 450w PSU.

boxboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 2:59am
Is this alright? EVGA 100-B1-0450-K1 450W Bronze 80 Plus Power Supply
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 3:24am

Is this alright? EVGA 100-B1-0450-K1 450W Bronze 80 Plus Power Supply

That's cutting it close considering your GPU. Not much headroom.

750ti -  Min 350w
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

In just now looking at NewEgg:

$5.00 more and you can get the 600w of the same model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817438014

Edited by wardog - 17 Jan 2017 at 3:24am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:10am

Yeah, I've been suspecting that as well. The owner originally said the psu can be a little "moody," probably referring to its problem starting up. Though turning on the psu was a problem, all I had to do to get it back running was to jump start it, so I don't really know if there's any issues beyond that. There may be an issue with its ATX power connectors, but using a multimeter to test whether the connectors work is kinda inconvenient for me, time and financial wise. If I were to replace the psu as a fast and easy option, would you have any recommendations for one that is compatible and with the best price? Also, a big problem is the fact that the internal speaker isn't working, could that be the psu or mobo's fault? So would replacing the mobo also be necessary?

If a PSU needs to be "jump started" (whatever that is...) to get it working, I would never use it.

The PSU is the heart of any PC, skimping on it is asking for trouble. Quality is more important than power capacity. Look for sale specials in the $50 - $100 range if budget is a factor. Look for "80+ Gold" efficiency, which means higher quality build, and at least a five year warranty. If you use one video card, you don't need more than 600W.

You can't hear the internal speaker because the board does not have a built in speaker. I haven't seen a board with a built in speaker in many years, it's not done that way anymore. POST beep speakers are either provided with a PC case, or you get to buy one. Your board has a header for a POST beep speaker. Also, there is an option in the BIOS to enable/disable this speaker, which is Disabled by default.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 3:48pm
For $5 more the 600w is a great choice. 

450w is adequate for that system but will limit upgrade options in the future should you decide to purchase a more powerful GPU. I recommended that wattage based on price concerns but if the 600w is only $5 more then it is definitely the way to go and will allow you to upgrade later, even to more power hungry GPUs.
boxboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 3:06pm
Thanks guys, it was the PSU after all. I went to buy a new one and replace it, once I started it up the display worked! Also thanks for recommending this PSU!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 9:24pm

Thanks guys, it was the PSU after all. I went to buy a new one and replace it, once I started it up the display worked! Also thanks for recommending this PSU!

Glad to read it's working now for you. Lesson learned.

Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic