ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 taichi power up problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 taichi power up problem
    Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 9:06am
JUST finished building the new beast.  However, upon attempting power-up, nothing happens except some LED's blink under the cover directly beside the SATA connectors.  I took out the old video card (new one has not arrived yet) but that made no change.  I mean **nothing** else happens, at all.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks,
Skypuppy (and this is my very first post in here!)

GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 9:12am
No error codes at the bottom? Maybe try one ram stick at A2 instead of having two. < ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:27am
Originally posted by skypuppy skypuppy wrote:

JUST finished building the new beast.  However, upon attempting power-up, nothing happens except some LED's blink under the cover directly beside the SATA connectors.  I took out the old video card (new one has not arrived yet) but that made no change.  I mean **nothing** else happens, at all.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks,
Skypuppy (and this is my very first post in here!)

You must have a video card with this board, so I don't understand what you mean about removing the old video card, but not having a new one yet.

Do you have the four/eight pin CPU power cable from the PSU connected to the four/eight pin CPU power input at the top, left side of the board? The CPU won't operate without it.

As asked above, your board has the Dr Debug POST code display at the lower right side of the board. Do you see anything on that display, should be two alphanumeric characters if there is a problem.

You have a CPU cooler mounted, but the fans don't spin? Any case fans connected to the board fan headers? Do they spin? You said nothing happens, including this?

You did not give any details about the other hardware you are using, we really need to know at least:

Full model number of your memory, and which slots it is installed in?

PSU model? New PSU or have you used it in another PC?

CPU?
skypuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 12:44pm
Absolutely nothing happens other than that red or orange led under that cover.

Here is the parts breakdown:
AMD 7 1700 ($340),
32 gb (16x2), 2666 memory T-Force Vulcan in A2 and B2  ($220),
one NVME ocz r400 512 Gb disk already tested in another computer for 3 days,
one SATA 3 Gb disk tested for 5 days,
stock AMD supplied cpu fan.
Video card is so old, but it's nvidia 9800 GT.
Power supply, fairly new, was removed from another PC and is a Corvair 600 watt.
Working kbd and mouse.
All appropriate power supply cables are plugged in.  The TaiChi takes 8 pins on the CPU header.

Should I press the '"reset BIOS" button?  Does one do that with power on or power off?

Should the cpu fan be plugged into the top or second "cpu fan" header?  The manual (right) is rather inadequate and in more than one area.  <sigh>

The intent was to 1) update the BIOS, and 2) set the parameters on the memory, then test the new memory continuously until the new video card arrives in a couple of days.  When the new card gets here, load the Debian 9 and let 'er rip.

Thanks.
skypuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:07pm
Update: turns out the Corsair power supply is bad!  Corsair has a good reputation so this surprises me quite a bit.
However, still have no video out.  The 7-segment display runs through a bunch of numbers rapidly, then turns off, which I hope is good news.  :)  The last visible display, at least once, was "0d."  Dunno what it means but there it is.
The video card might have gone south, too.  Haven't used it in years.  I'll try a different one later.

Isn't there a way for the TaiChi to get it's BIOS directly from the 'net or do I have do save it onto something?

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:31pm
bios version 1.5 and up has internet flash
if you look at the board right in the middle you will see a very small chip with a sticker on it
the sticker will have what bios the board was built with

for example my one arrived 6th april and had a sticker saying v1.5 and was indeed version 1.5

i still prefer myself to download the bios flash to desktop ,expand-extract it then copy it to a blank usb stick

on the taichi you then either boot into bios (press delete key on startup) or boot directly into bios flash (press f6 on start-up)
the screen then shows you suitable bios files found on any drive and you follow the instructions on screen

may i say if not for your benifit but for future readers
NEVER EVER USE THE WINDOWS BASED BIOS FLASH !
there is no need ever and it increases the chance of file corruption by an extreme amount
please also reset current bios to defualt settings before any bios flashing ( as this would be the worst time to discover your cpu or ram overclock bugged out )
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
skypuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:41pm
Update #2
System is up and running nicely, except I can't make it accept the timing values that are printed on the package they came in.  The package has one less value than the BIOS!  I'm so dazed and confused.  I did get the BIOS to finally admit the RAM is 2666 Mhz finally.  :)

You guys probably all already knew this, but the reason I could not see any video output on the monitor is old video cards appeared to be stumped by 4k monitors!  On a hunch, I plugged in a normal 1080p monitor and voila, I had output!  I set the parameters necessary (I hope!) and started the memory tests, to run for 999 cycles on 32 Gb memory.  Dang, but is this puppy FAST!!!  Faster than anything I've ever seen and I've seen a --bunch-- of computers since 1977, of nearly all genres.  DDR4 is **smoking**!  Now, why can't we have DDR5 for main boards?  :)

Thanks, guys, for the help.

Skypuppy

Oh, btw, I tried the internet BIOS update from the BIOS itself and a couple things were downloaded and installed.  Everything seems fine.

Edited by skypuppy - 14 Apr 2017 at 1:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic