ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock X370 Gaming K4 temperature reporting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruspartisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:50pm
I've googled many other motherboards from ASRock, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte and HWINFO screenshots for them. It seems, that ALL ASRock AM4 motherboards have problems with temperature reporting, and hardly any motherboards from other manufacturers have. Asus X370 Prime Pro and Crosshair VI are good, MSI 350 Tomahawk is good, Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 is good. The interesting thin is (but I can't prove it) that temperature reporting for some of the boards was broken, but was fixed with a BIOS update.
EpicPants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EpicPants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:47pm
Do you have a link to anyone saying that? I'm not sure if that can be done with just a bios update. Could u link me please?
trailriderdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trailriderdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 6:15am
Originally posted by EpicPants EpicPants wrote:

[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]Hi all,

I was running through some overclocking options and i realize that the bios/asrock f stream is not following the CPU fan curve that i set up for it.

After some investigation, i realise that the temp recorded by the motherboard/f-stream software/bios is way lower from ryzen master and HWmonitor, which causes my fan to not spin up relative to actual temps? i assume ryzen master and HWmonitor to be accruate as they are showing the same temps.

It varies from 10-25degrees celcius hotter in HWmonitor and ryzen master than as detected by the bios/ f-stream. For example, fstream: 48degresss, HWmonitor 72degree

Anyone else encountering the same issue?

Thanks!

Same problem with my X370 killer ac. I had to set my fan curves to be more aggressive but it's not an ideal solution. The temperature the mobo watches for fan speed is not only lower than the temperature you mention in HWmonitor and Ryzen master, but also takes a lot longer to heat up. When you first start prime95 or other stressing program the gap is big and narrows over time. I hope this is fixable with a bios update.

Originally posted by ruspartisan ruspartisan wrote:

I have the same problem and even created a reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/66pbo7/asus_gigabyte_msi_users_hows_your_automatic_fan/

Motherboard does not read Tdie or Tctl for fan control. It seems it uses a sensor under the socket, which is very slow to react: http://imgur.com/zv3RF0b . Tdie/Tctl is read by HWINFO, and is fast to react on load (Prime95), and reported temp is very slow, so is the fan curve.

The graph you posted, and the other graph in the reddit thread is a really good visualization of what's going on.

ruspartisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruspartisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 4:31pm
I've created yet another thread on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/67pc95/asrock_please_fix_cpu_temp_reporting_on_am4/, becaue I've discovered that ALL ASRock motherboards seem to have this problem, and none of others manufacturers have it. (see the album in the post: MSI and Gigabyte are fine, ASUS seems to be fine too).
berner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 2:08am
yeah  there should be a way to control the fans with Tdie.
When i tried a overclock with 1.4V the Cpu reached 80° and started throttling before my fans got over 50% cause the CPU temp of the mainboard was still at 50°.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:28pm
Dear EpicPants,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

About this symptom is due to our CPU temperature is read from SIO.

But we do not know where the CPU temperature reading location with third-party utility, it may cause the CPU temperature would not display the same.

So, we would suggest user to observe the CPU temperature by our official F-Stream Tuning Utility directly.

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD

ruspartisan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruspartisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:30pm
F-Stream untility reports incorrect temperature too. I assume, that correct temperature is the one displayed by Ryzen Master, developed by AMD, and F-Stream does not match those readings.
hrtlik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrtlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 3:33am
My ASRock Fatality K4 with Ryzen 1700 also misreads CPU temperature.
The interesting thing is that on low temperatures the reading is correct - 50C in Ryzen Master = 50C reported by motherboard.
But on the higher temps like 70C the readings are off. 70C master = 60C reported by motherboard.
The most curious case is when I put Prime95 on one thread the readings are off by 15C. Ryzen reports 70C in that case but motherboard only 55C.

I hope it gets fixed.
Chocula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chocula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by ASRock_TSD ASRock_TSD wrote:

Dear EpicPants,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

About this symptom is due to our CPU temperature is read from SIO.

But we do not know where the CPU temperature reading location with third-party utility, it may cause the CPU temperature would not display the same.

So, we would suggest user to observe the CPU temperature by our official F-Stream Tuning Utility directly.

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD

Hi there,

Are there any plans to fix this in an upcoming BIOS update? I have a 1700x and I was not able to OC it at all. After weeks of buying a separate new mobo, cpu, gpu, and ram to rule out the source of my instability, I finally found the reason and it's because my comp was shutting down due to "high temperatures" to protect it from any damage.

My Kraken x62 was reading 109c!!! but in reality, the temp was actually only 60c on both Aida64 sensors and HwMonitor during stress testing...thus I can't overclock my 1700x at all. Please let me know soon. I might have to go with another mobo from another company soon if this is the case. Thanks.
crusheddiamond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusheddiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 10:45pm
Tech support, sales and mods on this forums have stated that this board is EOL and will receive less bios updates over time.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5331&PN=12&title=x370-gaming-k4-new-bios-with-agesa-1006-out

A disappointment to say the least.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic