ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

new bios versions out (dont rush)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by TooQik TooQik wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

It all boils down to public perception.

People buy ASRock because you can achieve many of the same things as any other top tier board manufacturer, but at a lower cost.

Thumbs Up

Review sites lean towards what they "sell' to the uninformed masses. And that's what they are doing, selling. Sadly, to drive advertising income via page views, I "get' that. I switched to ASRock after taking a long view at what I'm getting for my money compared to other boards. I have no regrets. In some curve ball way the Review sites I feel are doing their readers a disservice "pimping' for other board manufacturers. Hence the results at Rymem's ratings.

Public(uninformed) perception ........... Buying with your eyes and brain closed.

While I generally agree with your comment about review sites leaning towards brands they sell, it cuts both ways as evident when you go to a manufacturers website and see links to the reviews which hold their product in high regard.

The only way to get a good feel for a product is to get a good cross section of information before buying it. It's hard to find unbiased opinions but if you read up enough reviews, user comments and technical articles you can generally get a good idea of a product's strengths and weaknesses.

For sure it's a narrow two way street.

Yet when one MB get's a 4 page review and a <choose the manuf> gets a 10 page fully detailed review, well  ........... That difference alone sways perception.

It is consolation reading the Glowing Reviews of ASRock boards all of you write up on NewEgg. My hats off to all for taking the time to do so.

Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:24am
Well, the new Bios did have another area to change the DDR4 basic timings and the ProcODT Impedance that can reduce signal feedback at higher speed DDR frequencies.

I'm still @2400Mhz CAS 12 after scores of attempts to even get 1 stick @2666. Perhaps I'll have better success after AMD releases new updates this month to the manufacturers. I nevertheless sent in a Tech support ticket to AsRock to address the missing 'Command Rate' being displayed in the UEFI, as well as it needs to be configurable. Hopefully the ticket gets some kind of attention. It would also be nice if the AsRock UEFI also displayed the FSB:Dram ratio to assist those who manually configure DDR4 timings and such.

I think this month may be a big month for Ryzen owners if AMD/Mobo manufacturers work out at least some of the DDR4 and UEFI settings/options issues. Now back to some CPU OC'ing...
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Kevin A Kevin A wrote:

Your response is accomplishing...? What? I may have missed it. If you are discussing quantity vs quality then maybe you should start a separate thread parsec, as that would be a different discussion that was not even mentioned in my earlier post.

You also erroneously stated I failed to mention...? How does your mind conclude that? I didn't mention specifics as I deemed it inappropriate or entirely unnecessary to what point I was making. A point about Brand name, UEFI/Bios usability/performance and DDR4 compatibility. And as the very fact that there is a TurboVCore on the competitors product line speaks volumes. You mentioned that utility in your post, not I.

Nor did I quote from a competitors site/article. I gave my view on it, that is all. You chose to quote from a competitors site/article, again you did that for your reason that accomplished... what?

parsec you have an agenda. I have a historic view that has been alive and well long before you or I were born. That view is: Brand name matters. And a company who has been around for quite some time cannot take it for granted nor marginalize it. I regularly visit the forums of Gigabyte and Asus... just to pick up on the atmosphere of their corresponding AM4/Ryzen communities and the interaction with Moderators. It's...educating.

All I can say about this is, you ignored my point completely.

Since I apparently missed your point, what was it? Besides your comment about moderators.

I quoted from the review in the link in your post. That review was the motivation for your post, correct?

I thought it was about the UEFI/BIOS options and how superior they are compared to the ASRock board's UEFI/BIOS?

I then began reading the review, and was surprised by what I read, given your comments. I then commented on that. If someone read your post and did not read the review, they would likely think that board's UEFI/BIOS was superior, as you clearly implied in that post. What I quickly found in the review was quite different. That is the point.

My only agenda was reality.

Now you begin talking about brand names, which is yet another topic.

Our styles are clearly different. You prefer to speak in generalities, while I prefer specifics. The devil is in the details.

If my comments as a moderator are automatically suspect and have an agenda, then what can I do to alleviate that? Suggesting that the review speaks for itself is being as unbiased as possible.
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:15am
Still attempting to score a point, eh? parsec, no need...the 'reality' is it? The 'reality' then is simple. A customers experience with a product directly relates to a consumer view of that 'Brand Name', as well as the response from that 'Brand Name' when issues arise.

In this case... it is not 'hardware related' that is developing a view that is negative, actually the hardware has received very positive views. It is 'UEFI/Bios related'...that is not. See, simple? Reality. Even if it never is accepted by you. That won't bother me a bit. Nor do I need your approval to view the 'reality' of what garners a negative experience with many customers in the 'here and now'. And your attempt to 'label' something I say as a 'generality' is on the immature side of debating an issue. Again... yes specifically... not in some generality... the UEFI/Bios is what can and is developing a negative view among some, especially when compared to other Brands who are having great(er) success with DDR4 compatibility, higher speeds and BCLK adjustments.

Try as you may, I will never need your approval on what is specific or reality. Just a...specific fact of reality.

And please...It was a bit entertaining when I read some words that to me are completely, entirely disingenuous. They were... "If my comments as a moderator are automatically suspect and have an agenda, then what can I do to alleviate that?"

parsec, I have grasped all 'I need know' about you as a Moderator. Nothing more required.

Edited by Kevin A - 07 May 2017 at 9:19am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:09am

Originally posted by TooQik TooQik wrote:

Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

It all boils down to public perception.

People buy ASRock because you can achieve many of the same things as any other top tier board manufacturer, but at a lower cost.

Thumbs Up

Review sites lean towards what they "sell' to the uninformed masses. And that's what they are doing, selling. Sadly, to drive advertising income via page views, I "get' that. I switched to ASRock after taking a long view at what I'm getting for my money compared to other boards. I have no regrets. In some curve ball way the Review sites I feel are doing their readers a disservice "pimping' for other board manufacturers. Hence the results at Rymem's ratings.

Public(uninformed) perception ........... Buying with your eyes and brain closed.

While I generally agree with your comment about review sites leaning towards brands they sell, it cuts both ways as evident when you go to a manufacturers website and see links to the reviews which hold their product in high regard.

The only way to get a good feel for a product is to get a good cross section of information before buying it. It's hard to find unbiased opinions but if you read up enough reviews, user comments and technical articles you can generally get a good idea of a product's strengths and weaknesses.

For sure it's a narrow two way street.

Yet when one MB get's a 4 page review and a <choose the manuf> gets a 10 page fully detailed review, well  ........... That difference alone sways perception.

It is consolation reading the Glowing Reviews of ASRock boards all of you write up on NewEgg. My hats off to all for taking the time to do so.

Would you two chill for christs sake! It reads like two women arguing, both trying to get that last final "jab" in.

Can't we all just get along. Life's too short already.

You don't even need to read the article. Simply scroll down to the Comments section.

TomsHardware; Best CPU's of 2017
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

Tell you two what. You two kiss and make nice and I'll stop posting of peoples perceptions and the BIG HUMONGOUS sites out there that lean Intel.

Lean, hell. That TomsHardware article above couldn't have been dictated to a Secretary to post on their site due to the Author(used loosely) giving Intels testicles a slurpy lips closed tongue bath.

YEA, I'M IN A GRUMPY MOOD TONIGHT SO I FULLY EXPECT TO BE CHASTISED FOR WRITING WHAT I JUST DID THERE. BUT NO MEA CULPA FROM ME FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH.

Note: Users, Do not do what I just did. Not unless you care to be severely flagellated and then PERMANENTLY BANNED from here by me, no less. Do as I say, not what I do. Comprende mi amigo?'

Edited by wardog - 09 May 2017 at 11:24am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 3:24am
https://arstechnica.com/business/2014/12/anandtech-snapped-up-by-parent-company-of-toms-hardware-and-laptopmag/

http://www.purch.com/

Objectivity is the first thing lost from being held by a conglomerate. Revenue, revenue, revenue!
soleil14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soleil14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 2:22pm
Bios version 2.3 is out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic