ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Solved] X370 Killer SLI AC dead board?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codemang87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 7:28am
Problem solved. The culprit was a faulty power supply. It passed a multimeter and paperclip testhe but 12th and 5v rails were failing under load.

I replaced it with a corsair cx650 and it booted right up. Ram is only running at 2166 but I was able to update the bios and it even booted windows 10 from my old data drive. I appreciate the help from everyone here.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Codemang87 Codemang87 wrote:

Problem solved. The culprit was a faulty power supply. It passed a multimeter and paperclip testhe but 12th and 5v rails were failing under load.

I replaced it with a corsair cx650 and it booted right up. Ram is only running at 2166 but I was able to update the bios and it even booted windows 10 from my old data drive. I appreciate the help from everyone here.

Glad you found the problem. PSU problems can be difficult to diagnose.

Your experience demonstrates the value of the paperclip and multi-meter test, not very valuable at all. No load applied to the PSU whatsoever.

The other PSU must have had a really bad +12V rail, if it could not even cause the fans to spin up if the CPU power cable was connected. Load testing of a PSU is the second essential step beyond the simple "will it start" PSU paperclip test.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 2:01pm

Glad to read you discovered the culprit.

Enjoy
Codemang87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codemang87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:08am
Oh, I am definitely enjoying it.  Still waiting on my 1050ti but all my older games run flawless now.  Can't get my RAM up to full speed tho. Had to settle for 2800 mhz for now.
Codemang87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codemang87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:12am
Update: 1050ti Installed and RAM up to 2999mhz using 4.6 bios and XMP 2.0 Profile.  The latest BIOS is great! RAM at full speed with stock settings.  Watercooling and OC in the future :)

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 11:05am

Update: 1050ti Installed and RAM up to 2999mhz using 4.6 bios and XMP 2.0 Profile.  The latest BIOS is great! RAM at full speed with stock settings.  Watercooling and OC in the future :)

Damn near the same systems, you and I.
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 5:42pm
I had this same issue when I completed my very first build ever last year. A brand new PSU arrived that was bad. The worst part was waiting for the local computer store to test the PSU which took almost a week. I wanted to pull my hair out.
Asrock X370 Killer SLI A/C Rev 1.03 b3.1, Ryzen 1700X - 3.9@1.34V, Nvidia Geforce GTX1080 FTW2 ICX, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3200@2933Mhz (3200 unobtainable)
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 9:59pm
damn these psu issues
i too have had some real annoying wasted hours spent over psu's

even ones that pass a proper psu thermaltake tester properly,which is supposed to place a load on the psu while testing,last case was a apperently perfect corsair cx750m would fail even with a nvidia 960 on benching
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 10:25pm
PSUs are a very common fail point for sure. First you have users carrying over old PSUs from previous builds thinking they are "known good" rather than what they really are "on last legs". Then you have new old PSUs where old models are sold to customers to clear inventory, often at appealing prices. In a lot of cases these PSUs don't meet the current power delivery standards or, have been sitting so long they have leaky/swollen caps. Another huge contributor to this issue is the fact that so many PSU brands use the same model names for multiple generations so a MegaPower (made up) 550w from 10 years ago is sold to a client that read a review on the latest version of that model. Lastly we have sub standard new units. People cheaping out and buying unknown brands or brands known for other hardware but not their PSUs. 

We say it on the forums here all the time, the PSU is the backbone of your system, literally every component in your system that has power flowing through it relies on it. Don't cheap out on your PSU, always get the best model you can within your budget. If you carry over a PSU from an old build and have issues, the PSU should always be your number 1 suspect. There is no such thing as a "known good" PSU so far as a consumer is concerned. The only people who can say that are people with the proper testing equipment to verify every voltage, tolerance and capacitor check out. 

PSUs can be the absolute bane of troubleshooting given how intricate they are and how many things could possibly be wrong. A single rail with a bad cap in it's chain could work flawlessly under one load condition then suddenly go way out of spec under another and it isn't always the obvious more load, more droop either, sometimes, depending on what's wrong, it can even go the other way.

I am saying all this because this is an old thread revived with the topic of PSU issues, thought I would rant a little, excuse me Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic