ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS updating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 4:55am
May I ask a question BIOS update related?

I'm on v2.20 (AGESA "SummitPI-AM4 1.0.0.4a") as that's what shipped.
I've made a few little tweaks, mostly to fan settings and turning CSM off (for UEFI install).

So Windows 10 is installed, all drivers installed from ASRock, with the addition of 17.30 AMD drivers from their site.

I fancy going to BIOS 3.0 or 3.1, but am apprehensive about it too.
I'm guessing that we don't need intermediate BIOSs, we can go straight to any newer version we like?

I am completely aware and onboard with the DO NOT UPDATE BIOS FROM WITHIN WINDOWS thing.  This was the advice on my old LGA775/P35, and I guess it still holds true.  For such an important taks ya don't want a glitchy OS screwing it up.

Can I shove all of the BIOS versions on a USB and pick from them in the BIOS update utility?

Sorry a few questions.  Cheers.
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by VUMeter VUMeter wrote:

May I ask a question BIOS update related?

I'm on v2.20 (AGESA "SummitPI-AM4 1.0.0.4a") as that's what shipped.
I've made a few little tweaks, mostly to fan settings and turning CSM off (for UEFI install).

So Windows 10 is installed, all drivers installed from ASRock, with the addition of 17.30 AMD drivers from their site.

I fancy going to BIOS 3.0 or 3.1, but am apprehensive about it too.
I'm guessing that we don't need intermediate BIOSs, we can go straight to any newer version we like?

I am completely aware and onboard with the DO NOT UPDATE BIOS FROM WITHIN WINDOWS thing.  This was the advice on my old LGA775/P35, and I guess it still holds true.  For such an important taks ya don't want a glitchy OS screwing it up.

Can I shove all of the BIOS versions on a USB and pick from them in the BIOS update utility?

Sorry a few questions.  Cheers.

Why be sorry for multiple questions, that were well put and easy to understand? Thumbs Up

All updates of previous, earlier UEFI versions are incorporated in the newer versions, so no need to install each one for its changes.

You can put all of the UEFI updates on the USB flash drive, and run Instant Flash in the UEFI. It will list all of them and allow you to choose the one you want to flash to. Be sure to unzip the download file first, and copy the result to the root folder of the USB flash drive.

Yes, the Window update method tends to have the most failures, why that happens is a mystery to me.

Yes, UEFI installation! Cool
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:29pm
@parsec :- Fabulous, thank you for the quick reply.

OK, gonna try v3.0

I'm really hoping that I don't have to reinstall the OS after changing BIOS version.  That'd be a major pain the the derriere.

I will reset the BIOS to defaults before updating it.

VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:29pm
Good news, updating to v3.0 didn't fail.

However I have some issues:

1. Fan Speeds and Temperatures:
I still think the UEFI is showing +20°C.
Under v2.20 this was the case, but the fan control seemed to be linked to a 0°C offset.
Temps in HWinfo show ~25-30°C once booted.

Also, my network adaptors just went missing in Win10.  I looked at device manager and they were marked with exclamations in triangles (typical no driver sign).  However when I refreshed hardware they just vanished in the list.
Rebooted and now I have "#2" versions of Ethernet and Wifi devices.

Freaky.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:45pm
It also seems the UEFI is running the chip with a Vcore of +1.2v.
OpenHardwareMonitor shows the graph of it dropping as soon as the service can log the data - when booted into Windows.

It's the blue line.

Due to the strange fan thing, I have had to add a 20°C offset to the fan speed, make them adjust when the temp is higher.  Hmm, that isn't right.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 10:24pm
Ever hear of AMD's Tdie and Tctrl temperature readings? Some Ryzen processors, the 'X' models, have a +20° C offset programmed into the Tctrl temperature. Tctrl = Tdie + 20° C. With UEFI 3.0 for your board, Tctrl is being monitored for fan speed control. It's also the CPU Temperature reading you see.

AMD's explanation of Tdie and Tctrl:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

Feeling a bit incomplete after reading that? Welcome to the club. No issues there really, just a change. You will need to change which fan speed profile you are using, or create a custom profile to match your particular CPU cooler fans, and personal preference for fan speed and noise. All fans are different, and the custom fan speed curve option allows you to configure your fan speeds accordingly.

If you would have updated to 3.10, you would be able to select which CPU temperature is being used for fan speed control. That's new for ASRock AM4 boards, just as the change to Tctrl was in an earlier version. The description for version 3.10 mentions the change. You're probably seeing Tdie in HWiNFO, with my ASRock X370 board, HWiNFO shows Tctrl and Tdie.

The network chip driver problem is not related to the UEFI update whatsoever. The wonderful Windows 10 automatic driver update, which you left configured to let it do that, by coincidence updated them at about the same time. As you can see it does not work very well. They seem to be working now, right?

VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:00pm
Ah, now this makes sense!  Thanks for your reply.

So in v2.20 I was using 'T-socket' as the CPU fan controller.  The temp of the CPU according to the motherboard under-chip thermistor.  It was slow to reach to the CPU jumping to 50°C, taking a whilst to increase, and also taking time to cool after the load had gone and the die had cooled quickly.

So you are saying with v3.00, the H/W monitor page in UEFI is actually Tdie+20 (Tctl)?  Oh, now that explains why it was so freakin' high.
Saying that, under v2.20 it was still 30°C+ in the UEFI but less in Windows.

I think the UEFI is adding unnecessary voltage.

Ah, right, yes.  v3.1 did have that temp. thing mentioned, but I decided to try v3.00 as folks said they had a performance hit with later version.  Doubt I would notice, I am not bench marking.

As for Windows 10 updating things, I turned that off via group policy editor before connecting to the internet for the first time.  It alerts me that there are new updates, but doesn't download/install until I say so.  Actually, I did install an update last night: KB4040724, which is something to do with cellular connectivity - hmm, sounds like network devices to me.

I know I am going a little off topic and specific to my issue here, but here is device manager (show hidden devices):  It won't have any of it clicking on properties of the hidden devices.  By the way the odd looking ones are likely due to VMBox (virtual machine).

stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:30am
BIOS updated to 3.1, latest AMD chipset drivers installed, Samsung NVME drivers installed, 960 is boot, Win 10 Pro 64 bit installed....7 second boot time, all stable.
Thanks again to everyone that helped, I know I caved in and thought I could not do it, but you got me there, so very aware of that and grateful.
Will have a dabble at tweaking RAM and OC a bit later.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 2:12am
7 seconds boot time - WOW!  From cold to Windows I have about 24 seconds, but then I have a sluggish Firewall (ZoneAlarm) and a bunch of HDDs connected.  Booting from Samsung Pro 850 256GB.

I'ma gonna have to look into this and see if there is a way to get even faster boots.  That said, I am impressed that it's as quick as it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic