ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel_l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 issues
    Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 1:12pm
Hi,

I recently set up an X399 Taichi with a 1920X CPU. Overall it runs well, the only thing I have overclocked is the memory, Hynix 2133 running at 2666 with the 2133 default voltage and timings. No stability issues.

What I am having trouble with are the fan controls and post screen.

I boot both Win 10 and Linux so I'm trying to set up the MB to run the CPU fans and water pump  on my H100i V2 CPU cooler. First thing I notice is what ASRock calls CPU temp is really Tctrl. I have tried setting custom fan curves for CPU 1 fan an CPU opt set as a fan. No matter if I choose CPU temp or Tctrl as the sensor, the fans do not follow the speeds I set ( I have correlated fan % to rpm ) . I use HWinfo to monitor what's going on and I can see the CPU temps clmb right on up and the fans not responding. I know the fans work because I can set a fixed speed just fine. For example, if I set CPU temp as the sensor and set the fans to be 100% at 50C, I can watch the temperature climb to 60C with a stress test and the fans do not ramp up. Same behavior if I use Tctrl as a sensor.

I have another issue with the post screen, I have the BIOS set to pause 10 seconds. Once the menus show up, It will sit for a minute before doing any thing. If I select a menu option, it still takes a full minute to do anything. Before messing with the fans, this did seem to be much faster. I loaded BIOS defaults, but this long delay did not change.

The long post, menu delay is not a big concern other than it seems to have changed behavior, but the fans not working as expected is annoying.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

Thanks

Joel
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 12:25am
Joel_l, I have not played with BIOS fan control, so I cannot be much help.  I also have a X370 with a H100i and use the Corsair Link.  I am curious why you do not use it.  I do know that all the Ryzen processors have strange CPU temperature reporting.  My R7 1800X adds 20C and my 1950X adds 27C, I have read.  I do not know what temperatures the fan control is actually using.  Maybe try lower temperatures in your fan curves.  Perhaps you should open a ticket with ASRock Support and ask them.  Remember this is a user forum and almost no ASRock employees visit here.  I would also suggest you ask them about your POST pause problem.  This is the first I have heard of this feature.  I do know that the Advanced BIOS Training can add significant time to POST.  You might drop your memory OC and see if anything changes.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Joel_l View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel_l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 3:46am
The reason I don't use Corsair link is that there is not a Linux version so I prefer to use the BMC on the MB. I got the fans working reasonably well, I could tweak further by just messing with the temperature points as you say. When I stress the CPU ( CPUZ ) it stabilizes at 58.5C ( as reported by HWinfo ) and the cooler fans just started ramping up. For now, good enough.

I did figure out my slow boot issue. I went into the boot menu and re-setup the boot priority and available devices.  I have 6 HDDs in my system. Once I removed all but the 2 HDDs that can actually boot from the HDD list, it now goes much faster.

Thanks

Joel
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 5:54am
Thanks, Joel_l.  I was wondering if Corsair had a Linux copy of Link.  Good information on the boot time.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic