ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 PRO4 - BIOS 4.40 OC Mode Change Switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
daro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 PRO4 - BIOS 4.40 OC Mode Change Switch
    Posted: 31 May 2018 at 3:02am
Hello, I updated my Asrock AB350M to 4.6 BIOS (3.0 before) and my system slowed down considerably. Sometimes RyzenMaster or CPU-Z see the base clocks, and they do not see those made in the BIOS. This is progress ??? Is there anything I should change? Is this BIOS broken? W.T.F
dave233e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave233e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 7:09pm
Updated BIOS to 4.60 -> on default settings voltage is way off and temps which are usually 33-35c are now 60-70c but I haven't left it running very long at 1.392-1.42V - tried turning core boost off so I don't know what's wrong. It also says 3.19 in windows setting

Manually overclocking it back to default 1.23v and it won't save either.

Is there a config I can fix this? concerned about damaging ryzen otherwise I'll revert back to 3.30

updating bios is no joke lol will straight up fry your components

chubalz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 3:49am
I found also a bug in 4.50.

In CPUZ and BIOS my Ryzen is 3.6Ghz but in windows and cinebench its only 3.19ghz.

Which is correct?

I dont want to revert 3.20 because i can now run my ram to 2800mhz
Ryzen 5 1600 3.80ghz @1.3375v
Asrock X370 Gaming X 5.20 Bios
CM MA610P
Aorus Xtreme Gtx1080ti
Gskill Trident Z RGB F4-300016D-16GTZR @2800mhz
SamsungEvo 250
2Tb Firecuda
1Tb WDBlack
Corsair RM650X
ZTR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 3:21pm
Flashed 4.60 
Still no memory overclocking in OC Tweaker like it was in 3.30 for non XMP memory stick :(

Reverted back to 3.30
php42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote php42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 7:31am
Originally posted by ZTR ZTR wrote:

Did anyone try the 4.60 bios released today?

i tried it. asrock OC mode is fixed now.
DRAM voltage still locked to 1.35v. anything over 1.35 won't save.
they seem to have added an option to adjust SoC voltage on the ab350 pro 4, hidden in the AMD CBS settings somewhere. it takes a VID instead of an absolute voltage (similar to pstates). there is no way to tell what this translates to in volts so i didn't touch it. default value is 0 so who knows.

i reverted back to P3.30.
once they fix DRAM voltage it'll be a solid upgrade. stability is otherwise hugely improved (for me 4ghz will now boot into windows, previously 3.9 wouldn't even post).
ZTR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 12:45am
Did anyone try the 4.60 bios released today?
futurist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote futurist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:21pm
I've set it over to AMD CBS for now. The RAM timings and voltage still appear to be correct, but with 2400mhz I don't think XMP settings really factor into my build's particular set of RAM. The "XMP" profile has always been the same as stock timings.

Thanks much for the info.

Edited by futurist - 13 Jan 2018 at 1:23pm
php42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote php42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:52am
Originally posted by futurist futurist wrote:

Hey all, just wondering something: I have a Ryzen 1600 and AB350 Pro4, and I just upgraded my BIOS to 4.40 in hopes of gaining a bit more stability with my build (have experienced some odd idle-time freezing with Cool n Quiet enabled). Obviously, at stock there's still some overclocking happening due to Precision Boost and XFR, but I'm not planning to tweak things myself. In that case, does anyone have any idea yet whether it's better to set the OC Mode Switch to ASROCK or AMD CBS?

Thanks!

use AMD CBS. asrock mode is super buggy in the new bios so the only way to get reliable results is with a pstate overclock in AMD CBS mode. note that this means you can't use XMP profiles and will need to set your ram timings manually unless you want to run stock ram.

this update seemed to provide a HUGE stability improvement, but at the cost of a whole new swath of bugs in the BIOS. DRAM voltage seems to reset to 1.35v at boot. this is fine for me since it suddenly seems to be stable at that voltage but YMMV.

EDIT: just noticed you were running stock, in that case it probably doesn't matter as auto settings should be the same in either mode.

Edited by php42 - 13 Jan 2018 at 10:54am
futurist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote futurist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:57am
Hey all, just wondering something: I have a Ryzen 1600 and AB350 Pro4, and I just upgraded my BIOS to 4.40 in hopes of gaining a bit more stability with my build (have experienced some odd idle-time freezing with Cool n Quiet enabled). Obviously, at stock there's still some overclocking happening due to Precision Boost and XFR, but I'm not planning to tweak things myself. In that case, does anyone have any idea yet whether it's better to set the OC Mode Switch to ASROCK or AMD CBS?

Thanks!
donalgodon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote donalgodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:25am
Originally posted by srdjan1995 srdjan1995 wrote:

Can someone tell me what is the max voltage I should go for when OC'ing my ryzen 3 1200? I heard something like v1.42 is the max safe voltage. Or can it go a bit higher without damaging the CPU and decreasing it's life span? Thank you :)

Every chip is different, but as a general rule, it's best to try and keep the voltage as low as possible and still maintain stability, so there's no recommendation that will work in all cases.

Personally, I undervolted my Ryzen 5 1600 deliberately to keep temps in check and was able to get a stable OC (tested) to 3.7GHz at only 1.28 Volts. 

IN my case, I started with the clock speed I wanted (not pushing the chip too hard) and then backed the voltage down from the 1.35 Volt default until I hit the lowest stable voltage I could reliably achieve at that speed.

Edited by donalgodon - 13 Jan 2018 at 5:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic