ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 extreme6 slooooow boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 4:24pm
Mr Faraday doesn't have anything to do with this.

I base that conclusion on that it is in a too small enclosure for proper airflow. As you state it's a PITA to remove. While keeping everything neat and tidy it does nothing for air circulation and causes heat buildup. Let me guess, a rather smallish exit at the back for the cables?

I'll reiterate my point, "it's in a wooden box"
jrnewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrnewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 9:04am
I have the Z97 Extreme 6 and triple boot Ubuntu, Windows and OS X.  I noticed this happening to me too when installing and occasionally upgrading my ubuntu distro - all of the sudden it would take a really long time to post and then my mouse and/or keyboard would stop working.  Seems to be something with this MB and linux because I don't see it with Windows and maybe only once or twice with OS X.

Often this is what I do to resolve it:  shutdown the computer and switch off the power supply.  Pull out all USB peripherals, and then press and hold the power button to completely discharge the M/B capacitors (should turn on for like a half a sec).  I then turn it all back on without the keyboard/mouse.  Sometimes this fixes it immediately or after a restart or two - no need to reset the CMOS.  Not sure if being able to boot into a non-linux OS helps my cause or not.  Hopefully this will help some of you recover quicker from this USB port issue.

Edited by jrnewell - 07 Jan 2016 at 9:05am
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 10:00am
Thanks I will try that. I also use ubuntu (technically kubuntu).

There was a kernel update today and also a grub&efi update but I have not rebooted yet. I'll wait till the weekend since I also use this machine for work. I can't afford to risk a several hour delay if I have to pull it apart again and reassemble it.

DIY OS X eh? Sounds interesting! My last laptop was OS X with Linux and Windows VMs but I never tried native dual/triple boot with it. Topic for another thread perhaps.
jglynn43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglynn43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 6:42am
Well here it is Friday after work so I rebooted the machine. It failed again but thanks to the tip from jrnewell, Recovery was much faster. Still undecided if I want to put up with this annoyance with every kernel update. My other desktop with same OS, and hardware (except for the MB) has no problems at all. It's a shame. I really liked this one because it is so customizable. I'll wait a bit before dropping some coin since there's no rush with the mystery solved. Maybe I'll decide I can live with it.

Thanks to everyone that has helped!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 3:05pm
Linux distros take a while to catch up with new hardware generations. If it is simply a compatibility issue with linux then it will get sorted out eventually once hardware support catches up on the distro/s you use.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic