ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro4 - Malfunction on USB1 port.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bengalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro4 - Malfunction on USB1 port.
    Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 7:43am
So I've got a strange issue.

The port in question is "USB1" as specified in the manual.  It is the TOP USB port on the set of USBs directly to the left of the RJ45 set.

I have an ADATA UV128 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive.  The issue occurs ONLY with this flash drive and not with any other of my 2.0 flash drives.  Additionally the issue occurs ONLY on USB1 port.  Every single other port on the system does not experience this issue.

Because this drive works on every other port on this system, and on every other system I tried I think it is safe to say the drive is not the issue.  However because other flash drives work on USB1 it clearly is a very specific problem.  I don't have other 3.0 flash drives to test, but my hypothesis is that this only affects certain 3.0 devices.

THE PROBLEM:
Manifests itself in 2 ways:
 - When the drive is configured as a bootable USB it is not visible as an available boot device when plugged into this port.  This test is entirely OS independent and is confirmation that something in the BIOS/hardware is not properly reading this port/drive.

- When in Windows the drive is not recognized in this port.  Again it is recognized in every other port.  This has been tested in no less than 4 *brand new* builds of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
In Windows 10 it appears the device is simply not detected at all - it is as if you didn't even insert it.
In Windows 2016 server the drive will flash on and off under My Computer / Computer Management (devices) every few seconds.  The event log will give errors indicating there is a problem with the disk.  Again however this drive works in every other port.

I would think that USB1 and USB2 (at the very least) are on the exact same USB controller/chip - so it makes no sense to me that this would occur.  I also tested this with all the internal USB headers disconnected just to make sure.

I RMA'd one board because of this and the second board came back with the same issue.
It would appear that this is some type of design flaw.

Edited by bengalih - 02 Aug 2018 at 7:58am
bengalih View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bengalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 6:20am
Can anyone else confirm this issue on their MB?

Easiest way to test is to try and use whatever USB 3.0 jump drives on USB1 port and see if Windows recognizes them properly.

I can't believe this is just me since I have had 2 boards with this issue.
Ofc, there may be something peculiar about my ADATA jump drive - but the fact that it works flawlessly in every other USB port in the system makes me believe it isn't faulty either.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic