ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock B450M Pro4 Audio Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock B450M Pro4 Audio Issue
    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:14pm
Unfortunately I couldn't get audio to work on my B450M + Ryzer 5 1600AF combo. I tried both the motherboard sound out (green) and the front sound out.

Specs:
ASRock B450M Pro4 - running latest BIOS
AMD Ryzen??5 1600AF
GTX 1080

Things I tried:
  • Enabling/disabling "gnd HD audio" in bios
  • Changing audio type between AC97 and HD in bios
  • Reinstalling realtek drivers, both from asrock and other resources (ussed display driver uninstaller for a cleaner purge)
  • connecting both speakers and earphones to both front and back output
  • removing and reseating the front HD audio cable (tried with cable removed)

I couldn't get the audio device to show up in Device Manager, the GPU is showing under the sound devices and audio is working fine over HDMI.

Should I downgrade BIOS? (is that even possible?)
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:04pm
Sounds like you have a dead integrated audio chip. You can either RMA the board or send it back to the retailer for replacement or pick yourself up a cheap PCIe audio card, Xonar SE or AE cards are decent and comparable to most on-board audio, which is to say they aren't amazing so if going that route track one down at the lowest possible price, second hand if you must.
rvin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by ket ket wrote:

Sounds like you have a dead integrated audio chip. You can either RMA the board or send it back to the retailer for replacement or pick yourself up a cheap PCIe audio card, Xonar SE or AE cards are decent and comparable to most on-board audio, which is to say they aren't amazing so if going that route track one down at the lowest possible price, second hand if you must.

Such a shame. Unfortunately I bought this motherboard in January so RMA is the only option, which leaves the PC without a motherboard for who knows how long. I sent asrock a support ticket to see if there is a software fix, lots of people have the same issue on reddit and other forums - and some of them found drivers which solved the issue, unfortunately none of those solutions helped me.

Is there any easy way to verify whenever the chip is dead?
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:44pm
Typically if you have already updated the firmware, reset to defaults, installed the standard Realtek driver and can't get any audio through headphones or speakers that is a pretty sure indication the audio is dead. You can try this audio package I put together but I doubt it'll make a difference; https://mega.nz/file/vhhhnAIZ#Z1VR4KGv4JlWc_9u__tJntFj509genQMbW0wlJQE6k4

Make sure you check out the readme for installing the audio console and how to get the latest version of it.
rvin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:39pm
Thank you, I will try that and report back on Friday. I don't have physical access to the computer at the moment. Do you think it is worth upgrading/downgrading the BIOS or that is futile effort?
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 10:42pm
Not worth it IMO, I don't know of anyone ever bricking onboard audio just by updating the firmware.
rvin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 3:31pm
Update for whoever is interested. I sent the motherboard in (Europe - authorized service) and they rejected it saying that they can't reproduce the issue. I tried literally everything before sending it in and now I am stuck with a fried audio chip.
rvin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 3:41pm
Final update. AsRock told me that since the authorized service couldn't reproduce the issue it doesn't exist. I have swapped the motherboard with an Asus and everything works out of the box. First and last AsRock I will own/recommend.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 7:30pm
Was the RMA center specifically told the on-board audio doesn't work? Service center techs can be pretty stupid sometimes unless there is a specific note added in the box as well.

I haven't contacted my Asrock contacts in a while but if you want I can try getting hold of one of them to get this sorted for you.

Edited by ket - 30 Jul 2021 at 7:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic