ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble installing operating system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:23pm
PM'ing you.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:37pm
Compliments of tenforums.com, follow the steps of Option 2 linked below to boot the sticks UEFI 10 installation. Nothing beats a graphical step-through.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21756-usb-drive-boot-windows-10-a.html#option2

Post back after following that guide on just what happens there.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by jebutler3 jebutler3 wrote:

Hello all,

I am a newbie on computer builds, however I have done some upgrades and minor changes etc., to a few of my other computers.  I have completed my first build.  (I will give the details below)  The build is primarily going to be an HTPC.  I got everything installed and everything powered up perfectly.  I am able to get into the UEFI/BIOS just fine and make changes.  I changed the boot order to USB (I'm installing Windows 10 from the USB stick it came with).  Once I save and exit, the screen will give the splash screen as it always does, but then it goes black, and I have a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.  

I have tried changing multiple settings, changed different USB locations on the board and still the same thing. I really don't believe there is an issue with the hardware, just a setting I am missing or doing incorrectly.

ALL help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is my setup... 
Brand new hardware:
ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
AMD A6 6400K 3.9GHz
Hyper X 4GB DDR3 1600 (1 Stick)
Kingston SSD now300 120GB SATA HD
Antec ISK300-150 Case
Windows 10 (on USB)
LG Blu-ray (currently not installed)

wardog, I don't know if you caught this, or frankly if it even matters, but jebutler3 is using a new to Microsoft type of media, a USB flash drive for Win 10 supplied by Microsoft with the installation files on the USB flash drive. So NO optical disk supplied with the Win 10 license, instead a USB flash drive.

I've used USB flash drives to install Windows for years now, of course created by me either from an optical disk, or a download of an ISO Windows installation file. The guide you linked to is perfectly good for a self-created USB flash drive Windows installation media.

But I wonder if this new USB installation media from MSoft has some special instructions included with it. I've never used one supplied by MSoft, so I don't know either way.

jebutler3, can you check the Win 10 package you have for any instruction for using the USB flash drive?

Personally, I always select the USB flash drive installation media in the Boot Order list in the UEFI/BIOS. There is a specific reason I do this, which is indirectly related to using a USB flash drive.

I have never had a problem when the PC reboots after the installation, of the installation media booting again instead of the OS installation on the target drive.

Questions for you jebutler3:

Are you using all default UEFI settings when you try to install Win 10?

If not, what SATA mode are you using? AHCI? Or something else?

I assume you see, as wardog said, to use the entry on the boot selection screen of "UEFI: <flash drive name>". Do you see any other entries, such as "AHCI: <flash drive name>"?

If you do see an entry, "AHCI: <flash drive name>", or "RAID:" if you are using RAID, choose that one instead and see what happens.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

wardog, I don't know if you caught this, or frankly if it even matters, but jebutler3 is using a new to Microsoft type of media, a USB flash drive for Win 10 supplied by Microsoft with the installation files on the USB flash drive. So NO optical disk supplied with the Win 10 license, instead a USB flash drive.

I've used USB flash drives to install Windows for years now, of course created by me either from an optical disk, or a download of an ISO Windows installation file. The guide you linked to is perfectly good for a self-created USB flash drive Windows installation media.

But I wonder if this new USB installation media from MSoft has some special instructions included with it. I've never used one supplied by MSoft, so I don't know either way.

I did , and did.

Yet I can not for one minute understand what any special instructions would be. It has to boot in UEFI, right? So any new board should be primed and ready to perform that, given the correct UEFI installation steps be followed.

I find it much easier to follow along with pictures. Head outta the gutter buddy. Head outta the gutter. That's why I linked what I did. Pictures are worth a thousand words and my fingers are tired. Head outta the gutter. Tongue

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:58pm
Jeebus. You don't have a son or daughter that may have erased that stick for homework purposes do you?

Now's probably a good time to look at just what is on the stick. It may have become corrupted too.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I did , and did.

Yet I can not for one minute understand what any special instructions would be. It has to boot in UEFI, right? So any new board should be primed and ready to perform that, given the correct UEFI installation steps be followed.

I find it much easier to follow along with pictures. Head outta the gutter buddy. Head outta the gutter. That's why I linked what I did. Pictures are worth a thousand words and my fingers are tired. Head outta the gutter. Tongue

Nope, it is not required to boot in UEFI mode with a USB flash drive. A properly formatted USB flash drive gives us the option to install and boot in UEFI mode. I see two entries every time I use a USB flash drive installer, "UEFI:" and usually "RAID:", since I use that alot, or "AHCI:", the default SATA mode.

The UEFI entry tries to use the EFI boot loader and the EFI Option ROM. But if CSM is not set right, the latter won't be used.

AHCI will use the standard boot loader and standard Option ROM, unless CSM is configured to use the EFI stuff. Intel RAID, at least on new boards, will use the EFI Option ROM regardless of the CSM configuration, but that is due to Intel allowing RAID arrays of PCIe SSDs, and NVMe PCIe SSDs. Clap The mixture of storage protocols is the cause for this kludge, so a double edged sword. Dead

But mix all that stuff together, and it is a big mess. Some might argue inconsistent, I would agree. It is not helping people understand how CSM works, and how UEFI and Legacy booting works. The two are related, but the kludge mentioned above makes it more confusing. Not to mention that MSoft does not follow the EFI rules completely in their UEFI installations. Which I think is a good idea by MSoft. That allows you to boot your installation in both UEFI and Legacy mode. Why not?

I've been playing with this stuff for several years now, plus the new PCIe SSDs, and I barely get it. Confused
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:40pm
""It has to boot in UEFI, right?""

I realize it can boot either way. My point there was it(the stick) wouldn't be confined to only a NON-UEFI installation.

Edited by wardog - 09 Feb 2016 at 9:41pm
jebutler3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 2:04am
ok...Going to try to answer all of the asks...

first...correct.  It is a USB stick from Microsoft.  The instructions are very basic...
1.)Insert USB Into device
2.)Power on computer and config to boot from USB
3.)If prompted, enter product key
4.)Read and accept license terms

Kids haven't messed with this one.  Only been with me in this computer on my work desk.
Tried it on another computer i have.  It has all of the Windows stuff on it.  I didn't want to try installing it, so I didn't mess up that computer.  But it has all of the lovely Microsoft stuff on it, boot folders, setup etc.

I don't think it is the MSFT USB stick...  
I connected my blu-ray and put in the ASRock CD that comes with the motherboard.  I should be able to boot to this also.  

When I F11 and select the Blu-Ray drive
When I select AHCI P2: (hp  BD MLT UJ240), the screen will go black, and I will get a blinking cursor in the top left.

When I select UEFI: (hp  BD MLT UJ240), the screen just goes black. No cursor.

When I select USB: with the content description (KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP) the screen will go black, and I'll get a blinking cursor in the top left

When I select UEFI: with the content description (KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP) the screen just goes black.  No cursor.

In the BIOS under the Boot tab for Boot Option Priorities, it says...
Boot Option 1: AHCI and my SSD
Boot Option 2: HP Blu-Ray
Boot Option 3: USB KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP
Boot Option 4: UEFI KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP
Boot Option 5: UEFI Built-in EFI Shell 

But I'm guessing this gets overridden when I select F11 and select where I want to boot to.

As far as SATA Mode...
Under the Advanced tab...All of the things listed there are...
SATA Controllers - Enabled
SATA Mode - AHCI Mode
AMD AHCI BIOS ROM - Disabled
SATA IDE Combined Mode - Enabled
HARD DISK S.M.A.R.T - Enabled

Then it list the SATA slots...
SATA3_1 - SSD
SATA3_3 - HP Blu-Ray

It lists more slots...I just omitted the ones that don't have anything connected.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:22am
Change
SATA IDE Combined Mode - Enabled

To
SATA IDE Combined Mode - Disabled

And retry please.
jebutler3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 4:53am
Made the change....
Tried to boot on USB & UEFI for the MSFT stick... Same results.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic