ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble installing operating system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onexistence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:20pm
Any updates on this? I'm having the same issue trying to install openELEC via USB. Same MB/CPU/mem combination. I can get into BIOS fine (at least at first). Sometimes video disappears while I'm in there. If I try to boot from usb, video is lost immediately. Starting to wonder if it's mem incompatibility, although I'm not sure if that would result in this issue..? Would expect to not be able to POST in that case, but maybe not. I'm still on BIOS version the MB shipped with. Need to check what that is when I get home tonight. Might try instant flash to latest. I'll also try to dig up a different mem module to test with. Just curious if OP has had any luck since initial discussion since it's been several months. I'll update here if/when I figure out the problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

MB: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
CPU: AMD A6-6400K -- AD640KOKHLBOX
Mem: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB 1600 DDR3 -- HX316C10F/4
jebutler3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:11pm
Onexistence,

Final update on this one...
I ended up calling ASROCK tech support.  The tech rep was very good.  We did a ton of troubleshooting.  Come to find out it was the actual board.  He suggested since it was only a week old, I contact the place I purchased it from and get it exchanged.  

Once I received the new one, I installed it and didn't update the BIOS and installed Windows directly from the USB as the instructions stated.  SUCCESS!  So it may have been the board, the BIOS update, bad cloudy day, I don't know.  

I still haven't updated the BIOS, for fear of losing the system, however to this day, my HTPC has been "ASROCK" solid!  :-)

Give tech support a call and troubleshoot with them.  Make sure you have time and are in front of the system.  There will be a number of steps for you to complete.

Good luck,
James
onexistence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onexistence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:31pm
Thanks for the quick reply! I was just hoping it was a simple obvious fix. I'm going to check all the connections one more time when I get a chance. I've already checked the 20-pin and 4-pin power connectors multiple times, so I'm confident it's not that. Maybe the memory is not fully seated or the usb headers are connected improperly. Failing that, I might be looking at an RMA. :( I'll post an update when I get to a bootable state.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onexistence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 3:48am
Quick update. Tried cpu and memory from another computer (both compatible with the motherboard). Also tried updating bios to 3.40. Same result in every scenario. I emailed ASRock tech support. Waiting to hear back in case they have any other ideas, but I'm assuming I'll need to RMA at this point.
jebutler3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 7:13am
Unfortunately that was my same result. But like I said, this one has been pretty solid.
Good luck with tech support. They were excellent when I dealt with them.

Edited by jebutler3 - 15 May 2016 at 7:14am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onexistence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 9:25pm
Final update:

Took me awhile to get back to this. RMA'd the mobo and bought the same model again. Fired it up last night and had no issues getting past POST. I seem to be running into a software issue with openELEC now, but obviously that's a separate issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic