ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble installing operating system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble installing operating system
    Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:23am
Hello all,

I am a newbie on computer builds, however I have done some upgrades and minor changes etc., to a few of my other computers.  I have completed my first build.  (I will give the details below)  The build is primarily going to be an HTPC.  I got everything installed and everything powered up perfectly.  I am able to get into the UEFI/BIOS just fine and make changes.  I changed the boot order to USB (I'm installing Windows 10 from the USB stick it came with).  Once I save and exit, the screen will give the splash screen as it always does, but then it goes black, and I have a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.  

I have tried changing multiple settings, changed different USB locations on the board and still the same thing. I really don't believe there is an issue with the hardware, just a setting I am missing or doing incorrectly.

ALL help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is my setup... 
Brand new hardware:
ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
AMD A6 6400K 3.9GHz
Hyper X 4GB DDR3 1600 (1 Stick)
Kingston SSD now300 120GB SATA HD
Antec ISK300-150 Case
Windows 10 (on USB)
LG Blu-ray (currently not installed)
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 4:54am
Instead of changing the boot order in the BIOS

1. First set the Kingston SSD as number 1, no need here now for booting from usb

2. When you reboot, at the first moment you're offered, press one of the F key choices that will show something along the line of Selectively Boot, and choose "UEFI: Your Named USB Stick"

Edited by wardog - 09 Feb 2016 at 4:56am
jebutler3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 5:36am
Wardog,

Thank you for replying.
I did this and now I get a black screen and no blinking cursor.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:52am
Check you installation media on the USB. Recreate it.

That it didn't work on your first post method here hints at something not being right with it(usb files).

What program did you use to create the bootable usb stick with?
jebutler3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:58am
The stick is actually a purchased version of Windows 10.
I tried connecting my blu-ray drive and using the CD that came with the ASRock motherboard.  The disk drive will show activity, but I get a black screen and blinking cursor again
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:48am
Oh! Ok.

Different tack .......

How is it connected to the monitor? Try the lowest "spec' cable the the motherboard and monitor shares.
And no video card listed so I'm going on your using the iGPU of the A6, correct?

What's the part number of your memory?

Edited by wardog - 09 Feb 2016 at 7:50am
jebutler3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:02am
The monitor is connected via the Blue VGA cable.  I am using a View Sonic monitor if that helps.  LOL
I also thought that this was an issue yesterday, so I tried my TV connected via my HDMI port.  Same issue with back screen and blinking cursor

The info on the memory is...
4GB DDR3 - 1600 CL10 240 -Pin
Hyper X is the brand
Part# HX316C10F/4

You are correct.  Not using a video card. Just using the iGPU.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:46am
Well, in now knowing what memory it's looking like it's not compatible with your board. That p/n doesn't show up on the list below anyways. Not a good sign.

Nor does it show in ASRocks Memory QVL for the board.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Default.aspx?DeviceType=7&Mfr=ASR&Line=Motherboard&Model=89019&DisPart=&Description=Kingston_ValueRam_Memory_HyperX_Memory_for_ASRock_Motherboard_Fatal1ty_990FX_Killer

Another possibility is maybe, just maybe, it's just a matter of somehow getting the BIOS updated to the latest. But you'll need at least one working and compatible stick for it to boot and then you can flash using.

Have a friend or co-worker you might be able to borrow memory from?

At the lower right of the motherboard, directly below the SATA ports, is your BIOS chip with a white sticker over it. So long as the board is new, not second hand, open boxed etc.... , what is printed on it is the BIOS it is running with. What is typed on the sticker?

jebutler3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:35am
Wardog,

I'm kinda confused on the RAM piece.  The link you had was for 8gb.  Here is the link for the 4gb that I have.  It shows the one that I have at the bottom. (blue in color)
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Default.aspx?DeviceType=7&Mfr=ASR&Line=Motherboard&Model=89019&DisPart=&Description=Kingston_ValueRam_Memory_HyperX_Memory_for_ASRock_Motherboard_Fatal1ty_990FX_Killer

As far as the BIOS piece, the board says 3.00.  I updated the BIOS when I first setup everything before trying to install Windows.  I was able to Instant Flash it.  The BIOS is currently at 3.40. 
jebutler3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebutler3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:39am
Sorry.  I tried the link I copied and pasted, however it brought me to the same page you linked.
Sorry about that.

But if you select 4gb at the left and 1600, you'll see the one that I have. (in blue at the bottom)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic