ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC not starting after adding new M.2 SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ESChestnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC not starting after adding new M.2 SSD
    Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 3:18pm
After adding a Crucial - P3 1TB to my B450M-HDV R4, my PC gets stuck on the motherboard logo screen and doesn't register my keyboard inputs to get into the boot menu. This is my 3rd storage device and when I just have the other two in, it boots fine. When by itself it doesn't boot nor does it when it's just the M.2 with the SSD that has my OS. Should I just buy another SATA SSD or can I get it to work with the M.2?
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 3:35pm
Hello @ESChestnut

try changing the 3rd SSD sata port,

because some actual signal routes are shared between here and there, read your motherboard's manual more more carefully and you will notice some place has small prints, if you use port 1 then can't use port 5, etc etc.....

i.e. my x370 taichi M2.socket2 cannot be used together PCIe_slot5, because they are both wired together as one or the other.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz
ESChestnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ESChestnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:57am
Hi @cx5, even after trying the different SATA slots, my PC stays frozen at the motherboard boot up screen. In BIOS, it says that my SSD with my OS is the first in boot up, but still freezes when my M.2 is inserted. The only thing from my manual regarding storage is:       1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280
M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up
to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge,
Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with
Athlon series APU)*
* Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
* Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

Does this mean that SATA3 can't be used with M.2?
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 4:43pm
Hello,

Good to hear your keyboard is working and able to enter BIOS. Previously sounded like you can't enter bios after adding 3rd SSD = Crucial P3 1TB

No idea what's going on your side.

May be if you tell more accurately what you plug in and what not plug in, your description is quite confusing.

x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
XFX SWFT319 6900XT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ESChestnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 10:24pm
When I plug in my Crucial P3, whether my SATA SSD is plugged in or not, my PC is stuck at the motherboard logo screen. But when it is not plugged in, my computer works perfectly fine.
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 1:25pm
Hello @ESChestnut

OK, let's see if I understand correctly.

Old OK state was: -
A) Sata_SSD_1_brand_A_capacity_X in socket sata_1 with OS windows version ???
B) Sata_SSD_2_brand_B_capacity_Y in socket sata_2 without OS just for data
C) M.2 socket is not occupied

I suspect MBR partition type is used in A) is this true? please confirm back.

See MBR vs. GPT = https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/mbr-vs-gpt-whats-the-difference-between-an-mbr-partition-and-a-gpt-partition-solved/#:~:text=As%20MBR%20is%20older%2C%20it's,is%20starting%20to%20catch%20up.

MBR vs. GPT is important because there's a BOOT setting that calls for only GPT
- and will not boot MBR (i.e. your old Sata_SSD),
-- which I suspect your NVMe_SSD_3_Crucial_P3_1TB in socket M.2 is GPT.
--- but no, if you've not even managed to boot, hence not yet format the P3_1TB, hence no yet have GPT nor MBR???? please confirm back.

In order to boot GPT partition format, must disable CSM something something or NO legacy something something, forgot what exactly sorry, it's one of those things when you look at the UEFI you'll know ah ha that one....

Hence when you
>remove A) Sata_SSD_1_brand_A_capacity_X in socket sata_1 with OS windows version ???
and
>remove B) Sata_SSD_2_brand_B_capacity_Y in socket sata_2 without OS just for data
and
>plug_in C) M.2 socket alone wtih NVMe_SSD_3_Crucial_P3_1TB
it cannot boot ....
---- but no, wait, if you've not even managed to boot once with C), means you haven't even transfer OS from A) to C)

hmmmmm, MBR or GPT worst case is can't boot,
----- but UEFI bios will show the Crucial_P3_1TB exists.......
-------- and the problem is you can't even enter UEFI bios with it .......
possible last conclusion it is defective dead or arrival DOA, please plug the Crucial_P3_1TB into another computer to check.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
XFX SWFT319 6900XT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ESChestnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 3:04pm
Hi cx5!

Sadly, my PC still stays frozen even after disabling CMS. I also tried keeping CMS on while disabling Legacy and UEFI only for the PXE and Storage opROM Policies. I'm not sure what else to try.
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 8:33am
Sorr to hear @ESChestnut

Most likely now, very very possible last conclusion it is defective dead or arrival DOA, please plug the Crucial_P3_1TB into another computer to check.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
mainalberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainalberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 3:20am
I have the same problem on a B365 PRO 4 F, just hangs during BIOS POST.
SSD: WESTERN DIGITAL SN530 Nvme 256

This mainboard BIOS-POSTs fine without that Nvme SSD, boots fine with another NVME SSD, boots fine with a SATA Cable SSD or Harddisk, but not this one NVME Western Digital NVME SSD.

It just hangs in the BIOS screen, wehere you can choose to press a key to enter BIOS or the boot manager.
The Western digital Nvme SSD works fine via USB case and in a nother PC, so the NVME SSD is fine.

It must be a BIOS software bug.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ESChestnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 5:30am
Is there a BIOS update or previous version that can be restored that it may work with?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic