ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi crashes / reboots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 9:53am
Originally posted by crazy098 crazy098 wrote:

Yes, I never disabled the onboard gpu. I'll check to see if it's disabled in bios. If it is, I'll disable it in windows, leave my pc off while I sleep and see what happens.

I haven?™t come across an option to disable the iGPU in BIOS, just an option to either make it primary or secondary. However, I?™ve got the ASRock B650E PG Riptide WiFi which seems to have a fairly simplistic BIOS.

Still disabling C-State worked for me and my system?™s symptoms seemed identical to yours.

FWIW, before I sorted the issue with C-State, rebooting the system right after a cold boot (before logging-in) helped a little with stability.
crazy098 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 5:14pm
@Xaltar: Yes, they are in A2 and B2. I could try swapping them and see if it helps.

@Octavean: I have zero stability issues once the system shuts down and restarts from a cold boot. The option to disable igpu in bios can be found at: Advanced->AMD CBS->NBIO Common->GFX Configuration->igpu Configuration

The issue is something I could live with, it's rock solid once it restarts from a cold boot. However, after spending over $4K on this build, including $500 on this motherboard, I'd like everything to work properly.

Just to be sure, could someone point me to all the c state options that need to be disabled? Thanks.

I also just realized I never posted my system specs in case this can help shed some light on the issue:

BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
ASRock X670E Taichi Bios 1.11
AMD 7950X
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 30-36-36-76 @ 6000 (AMD Expo)
Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4080
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB (boot drive)
7 other hard drives (6 Sata, 1 SSD)
Juuso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juuso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 12:13am
After changing the IGPU MHZ to 800, My system is totally stable for the past couple of days.
Did not even have to disable the c-states.
I can leave it on idle for as long as I want and the system is not freezing.

ASRock X670E Taichi Bios 1.14
AMD 7950X
32GB Kingston Fury BEast 36 @ 6000 (AMD Expo)
ASUS TUF RTX4090
4 Samsung and Kingston m.2 ssds
Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Octavean Octavean wrote:

[QUOTE=crazy098]

BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
ASRock X670E Taichi Bios 1.11
AMD 7950X
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 30-36-36-76 @ 6000 (AMD Expo)
Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4080
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB (boot drive)
7 other hard drives (6 Sata, 1 SSD)

Yeah, your systems symptoms are essentially identical to what my system was experiencing. Your system has better specs though.

I can add that I ran my G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5 6000 RAM at stock. I tried AMD Expo but that seemed to adversely affect the stability. For troubleshooting purposes it?�s best to eliminate possible source of conflict.

BTW, IIRC there have been some serious issues with the Samsung 990 Pro SSD?�s. Probably unrelated to your stability issues but if there is a firmware upgrade for it definitely apply it ASAP or replace it with a different model.
EEPS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EEPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 11:47am
I just wonder how good quality control is for the CPU's. I went through my own similar issues here: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25386&title=x670e-taichi-cant-run-stable-with-acpi-cstates except not cold boot related. I ended up buying a second CPU (7600x) just to diagnose the issue and the CPU was the issue. After RMA'ing the CPU I don't have any issues any more (except having an extra CPU).

If you run your memory at stock and have stability issues. Try each stick individually. If you still have stability issues... it's got to be the CPU right? Even if you can find some configuration where it is stable (disabling C-States, iGPU etc..) you shouldn't have to accept this for a $$$ CPU! It might be worth buying another CPU just for diagnosing (7600 is $229 right now) and either return or sell on ebay, otherwise it just feels like spinning in circles.
Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 12:16pm
It?™s a new platform. Some growing pains aren?™t all that surprising IMO. My RyZen 3950X / ASRock X570 Taichi was rock solid (still is) but it was an iteration building upon earlier RyZen designs that had their own growing pains.

The cause of the issue isn?™t clear to me. I wanted to try a different OS just to see if the behavior changed since in my case the instability was only in Windows and primarily cold boot.

I?™d probably try a new motherboard rather than a new CPU. Still since there will be a RyZen 7950X3D I might give that a go. Reseating the existing CPU might make a difference. Maybe trying a different RAM kit.

FWIW, I think it?™s a really bad idea to try four DIMM?™s in this generation of AMD boards.

Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 12:34pm
It?™s also worth pointing out that LGA sockets can be a bit fiddly. For example, Threadripper has a specific install process with a torque tool because too tight can be problematic and too loose can be equally problematic. So reseating the CPU and cooling solution alone could be helpful in some situations.
crazy098 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 12:14pm
I tried running the ram at stock speeds and got the same result. When I get home from work tomorrow, I'll try booting on 1 stick of ram and next day the other. The problem is that I have to let the PC rest overnight to test the issue. It's also possible that this problem isn't hardware related at all but due to something within windows.
Octavean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octavean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 2:31am
I?™ve tried this with my G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5 6000 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) kit and it didn?™t make a difference. It was less stable at 6000 rather then 4800 and using one stick swapping around didn?™t help.
mbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 3:03am
Hi,
i think the right thing is to give this back right after purchase. Audio has Noise, DDR5 speed is not as expected, No Linux drivers, No Access to Nuvoton Management Controller, no Access to Board Temperature Sensors, VOltage Monitors nor FAN speed.
In general, a pretty pretty bad board. Never ever Asrock again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
  Share Topic