ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

need a new GPU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt_wow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need a new GPU
    Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:50pm
Hi, I've burnt out my old GPU and so am looking to replace it. I have a ASRock P45DE motherboard and would like some advice on which graphics cards would be compatible. I don't need the latest models or anything, only that it is at least direct x 11 compatible and around £100 (or less) is my budget.

if anyone can spare the time to help i would be most grateful.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 11:21pm
I would say your best bet is an R7 360, it supports DX 11 and will offer decent FPS in most DX11 titles at lower detail/resolutions (720p sweet spot). You should be able to pick one up for under £100  with ease. If you can find a deal on an R7 370 that brings it under £100 then go for that. Depending on what CPU you have paired with your board you may see a CPU bottleneck with even the 360 however.

Core duo and Core Quad are a little long in the tooth now but paired with a Core Quad you should see some decent gaming with either of the GPUs I mentioned above.  

If you are an Nvidia fan then you could look at a GTX 750ti instead of the R7 360, it uses less power and performs on par or slightly better in most games. The R7 370 is a better performer than both however so if you can get a good deal on one of those I would pick it over the GTX 750ti.

If you have any further questions please let us know Wink
capt_wow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt_wow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:47am
Thanks that's really helpful, I'll do some bargain hunting and see what I come up with.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:38am
Glad to help.

I should also mention that you should check the PSU requirements of whatever GPU you decide to go with. The 750ti should work with even a modest PSU and the R7 360 isn't exactly a power hog either but be careful with the R7 370, it may require you to upgrade your PSU if you are using a budget 500w or lower but a decent brand 450w should be enough to handle it. Bare in mind that many budget/no name brand PSUs are deceptively labeled so one that claims to be 500w may only be able to handle 300w of sustained load. Brands that are decent shouldn't be hard to find, a quick google search will give you all the info you need.
capt_wow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt_wow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:29am
I was literally just wondering about the psu so thanks again.
capt_wow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt_wow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 1:49am
Went with the 750 ti and it works like a dream. Thank you for your advice.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:22am
Great choice Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic