ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > Achivement&Record
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

960 Pro specs released

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 960 Pro specs released
    Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 5:13pm
not sure where I should post this guys so I put it here Tongue

960 is a beast of a drive

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/960pro.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000279
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by DooRules DooRules wrote:

not sure where I should post this guys so I put it here Tongue

960 is a beast of a drive

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/960pro.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000279

Well look who is still around, I thought you might have moved on to another Z170 board, made by someone else... Good to see you here again. Thumbs Up

Just reading about the 960 Pro, and a 960 EVO M.2 model too. Can you imagine, a 2TB 960 Pro model, with a rated endurance of 1.2PetaBytes! Shocked

Still nothing to cool the controller, we'll see how it is compared to the 950 Pro. Not that most reviews ever mention that.

Can you believe that Intel's new 600p M.2 SSD was meant to compete with or surpass the 950 Pro? The 600p cannot surpass the Samsung SM951 AHCI model's basic performance. Crucial (who is Intel's partner in their NAND fab business) had their version of the 600p planned for release, but won't bother doing so, they cancelled it. It uses TLC NAND. The 600p is a nice budget M.2 SSD, but that's it.

I really wonder about Intel's SSD business, they continue to either be outdone by Samsung, or make design mistakes over and over. Confused
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:59pm
Still around, yes. Although running two systems now. Threw a 6950x in an R5V10 mobo with a Titan XP gpu. Monster combo Big smile

Samsung just keeps pushing the envelope for sure don't they.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 11:03pm
Nice to see you again Doo, I am sure you will be providing us with performance results of your own soon enough Cool
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by DooRules DooRules wrote:

Still around, yes. Although running two systems now. Threw a 6950x in an R5V10 mobo with a Titan XP gpu. Monster combo Big smile

Samsung just keeps pushing the envelope for sure don't they.

No surprise there at all!

Since I've been in Broadwell-E land myself lately, I'll ask you about yours. I don't think you have a Haswell-E CPU to compare it to, so my questions may be hard to answer.

Given what I've experienced, and read about, Broadwell-E is not a great over clocking processor. It is common to hit a 4.3GHz limit for a core OC. The Cache runs slower than Haswell-E, 2.8GHz stock speed, and is maxed out at about 3.8GHz OC, if you are lucky.

I've read in the OCN Broadwell-E thread, which is almost 100% about Asus boards, about dead processors from over clocking. How often do we hear about that? I'm not blaming the boards, although there is talk about OC socket issues.

Then there is Intel's "Turbo Boost Max 3.0", which is not really a new type of Turbo boost. It selects the best cores to Turbo boost. Also, the BIOS option to limit clock speed when AVX instructions are running. Plus an Asus utility to protect the CPU or cores from high temperatures, I forget the name.

This all seems to be things to protect these processors, not features that enhance performance.

What are your general thoughts about these things, and your 6950X?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 12:27am
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 4:34am
Hi to you also Xalter.  Big smile Hope all is well with you and your family.  I will post up my firestrike score with the Titan, it is a very powerful gpu. And if they ever mod the bios scores will explode again. 

You are correct parsec, I had no Haswell-E to compare against.

My 6950x seems to be middle of the road i think. My daily o/c is 4.5 adaptive at 1.38Vc with uncore at 38x. 
I have also read those threads about guys with chips dead from overclocking, yeah... Cry Me thinks there is a heavy dose of user error there, could certainly be wrong but in my experience it is very difficult to kill an Intel chip. 

After 4.5 my chip needs to basically be hooked up to a car battery for more juice to run, hehe. Vc just explodes, to run my bench o/c of 4.571 I am at 1.52 Vc and for 4.6 I am at 1.535 Vc. At 4.6 I am stable enough to run gpu benches but certainly nothing else.

I do not think cold air will help much either. I hope I am wrong there, we will see when outside temps drop.

I have used and tried the Turbo Boost 3.0, no gain anywhere that I can see. I think in day to day running it may help because it will always go for the fastest core, which can't hurt. But for benching, nada. I do have a bios setting to reduce core speeds for AVX programs, I do not use this. It is an offset I can set in bios. 

I did avail myself of the Intel Protection Plan. If I do manage to kill this dam expensive chip then I just cross ship it back to Intel and I get a new one. For the price of the insurance it just seemed to be prudent to do so. Wink

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 12:34pm
Wow, you tried some wildly high VCore settings, given what I have read. The dead CPUs were killed at a bit over 1.3V, but there is more to it than that. That was 6950X CPUs.

The apparent killer was running Prime95 with AVX instructions, that supposedly causes super high current draw/flow through the CPU. I believe that was using Adaptive voltage. This is what the Asus rep, whose name is Raja, is saying in the OCN Broadwell-E thread.

Otherwise, that is one of the highest Broadwell-E processor OCs I've heard of. Nice. Thumbs Up

I wanted to see how far you got the Broadwell-E Cache to OC. Your result is among the highest I've seen others achieve. An ASRock X99 board user was complaining in this forum about why he was able to get a better OC using a Haswell-E CPU, rather than a Broadwell-E. I tried to explain that Broadwell-E is usually limited to an OC of 4.3GHz on the cores, and below 4GHz for the cache.

He expected the new CPU generation to do better than the previous one, which is usually the case for an Intel "tock" update, in their "tick" - "tock" progression. Unfortunately, Broadwell-E is a "tick" update, from 22nm to 14nm. Plus it retained the Haswell integrated CPU VRM.

Skylake it a "tock" update, from mainstream Broadwell processors, that we know are not designed for over clocking. The only thing Skylake shares with Broadwell is the lithography size, 14nm.

Broadwell-E is better than I thought it might be, given Broadwell mainstream processors. A Broadwell-E core has better IPC than Haswell-E, but simply looking at the OC numbers, Haswell-E can do "better".
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 5:46pm
Haswell E can generally o/c better than Broadwell E 6950x but you do not need as high an o/c on 6950x to beat out Haswell.

Raja is one seriously knowledgeable dude. Anyone who chooses not to listen to him on an Asus mobo should be shot. Smile

On my 4.571 o/c I have baseclock moved to 102.3, uncore is at 3850 and I have the V for uncore at 1.35, max safe voltage.

Hey parsec I have said many times in terms of Vc it is not the voltage but the cooling that is most important. People that still choose to run prime95 and hammer their cpu for hours on end deserve what they get. Seriously, it proves nothing other than you could run prime at that point in time. You could just as easily fail the run the next day.

Everyone has a different opinion of what "stable" is. I personally could care less about any of these synthetic tests that hammer the cpu to try and prove you are 'Stable' .
DooRules View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DooRules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 5:58pm

Edited by DooRules - 22 Sep 2016 at 5:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic