ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990 fx extreme6 SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 5:31am
So am now waiting to hear from Toshiba as I would prefer one of their Add in cards as opposed to the ones that may or may not work from some amazon store~ as I can't seem to locate theirs for sale online anywheres
970A-G/3.1 FX8320e EVGA GTX1070SC 2x8g pny 1866 ddr3 Corsair CX750M Carbide series spec01
R7 1700x, X370 Taichi, EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid,16g Corair 3200 vengeance LPX , Corsair 750w psu , TT view 27
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 10:01am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

This is not so hard to figure out, if you have some experience with PCIe NVMe SSDs.

Says you. Is there any drive interface you haven't thoroughly run through the ringer there yet?

Some people love video cards, I love SSDs. Drive IO is the slowest thing in a PC, what better way to speed things up?

Not many other drive interfaces to use with a PC. Interface is the main point, SATA is one, so is NVMe. Both need a driver to operate, and a little UEFI/BIOS magic to boot from. NVMe SSDs are not unique hardware devices in that each one needs special support. We don't need that for SATA drives, the same goes for NVMe drives.

We can use SATA III SSDs on a SATA II or even SATA I interface. PCIe just sends data back and forth, the driver program does the magic of converting the data into the format each side needs. Video card data won't mean anything to a SATA or NVMe driver, but a video card driver deals with it fine. You can use a PCIe 3.0 compatible video card on a PCIe 2.0 interface mother board, right?

The hardware level data interface for SATA drives is what? It's not SATA, that is a data protocol, not a data transport mechanism. It's actually a type of PCIe, used to be PCIe 2.0, now Intel has PCIe 3.0 in their 100 series chipsets, although they call in DMI 3.0, previously DMI 2.0. AMD might use something else, but I doubt it. The Microsoft generic msahci SATA driver can be used with Intel and AMD chipsets.

I sure don't own every NVMe SSD made, but as long as I have a driver for it, it will work.

There are M.2 to PCIe slot adapter cards that can be used with M.2 NVMe SSDs. You could use one of the adapter cards in the PCIE3 or PCIE5 slot, and provide a PCIe 2.0 x4 interface to the RD400. But since the interface is PCIe 2.0, you won't get the full performance of the RD400.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification parsec.
[/QUOTE]

I used an Intel 750 NMVe SSD in my ASRock Z77 board. With an i7-2600K, it supports PCIe 2.0. I had one of those in the board, and that SSD worked fine, a little slower on the large file sequential read speed. But I did have a PCIe 2.0 x4 connection. I then put an i5 Ivy Bridge CPU in the board, which supports PCIe 3.0, and I then had the full large file sequential read speed. That's using benchmark programs to test speeds. Real world usage is always slower, monitor drive speed while installing a program, if it peaks at 100MB/s, that is fast. Other factors such as latency are more significant.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Torakk Torakk wrote:

So am now waiting to hear from Toshiba as I would prefer one of their Add in cards as opposed to the ones that may or may not work from some amazon store~ as I can't seem to locate theirs for sale online anywheres

The RD400 is routinely sold with or without the M.2 to PCIe adapter card. The price difference is $20.

In the link below, find Form Factor to the right of the picture of the RD400, and click on AIC to see the Add In Card (AIC) version of the RD400. Sorry for the text only link, problem with the forum link tool and some URLs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820228162

I own an RD400 and have the AIC version. I put a Samsung 950 Pro in the AIC as a test, works fine.

Torakk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 10:25am
How big of an improvement would the addin card do me over just putting it in the M.2 slot. And might there be any addin card you would recommend if i can't get one thru Toshiba ? 
970A-G/3.1 FX8320e EVGA GTX1070SC 2x8g pny 1866 ddr3 Corsair CX750M Carbide series spec01
R7 1700x, X370 Taichi, EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid,16g Corair 3200 vengeance LPX , Corsair 750w psu , TT view 27
Torakk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 10:28am
...and is it just me that can only pull up my MB off ASRock's site via google?...very oddly if i just got to the site and look thru both the AM3+ list or even all products list the Extreme 6 is Not there. If i google it it will take me right to the page and from there it is in the lists...like 2 diff websites altogether??

Torakk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 10:30am
i already have the bare drive tho, it was a amazon deal at 119$ but discount was not applied to the AIC vers sadly~
Torakk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 11:03am
Huh...they do appear to be diff sites http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.us.asp?s=AM3%2b is the list w/o mine and http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=AM3%2b does have it mine is missing the .us.?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 12:22pm

Huh...they do appear to be diff sites http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.us.asp?s=AM3%2b is the list w/o mine and http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=AM3%2b does have it mine is missing the .us.?

Great. Another boner. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll see if I can get the webmasters attention and have it corrected.

Again, Thanks,
wardog
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 11:28pm

I see the 990FX Extreme6 listed in ASRock's USA website:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=Current

Unless they fixed it quickly, or just a temporary glitch.

I can't tell from your posts which ASRock website you were looking at, that did not have your board listed.

Notice in the URL above the word Current. That means mother boards that are currently sold, which can vary from market to market. Meaning a board could be sold in Europe and not in the USA, for example.

Sure, you can directly find older ASRock boards that are no longer sold at all, or sold in limited places, with a Google search.

If you use the Search box at the top of the ASRock Motherboard listing page, you can find many models of ASRock boards that were sold at one time, but no longer sold anymore at all, or not sold in certain places. For example, enter "970" in the Search box, and you'll get a list of 12, 970 chipset boards. But in the list of currently sold boards, only six 970 boards are listed.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 1:32am

I see the 990FX Extreme6 listed in ASRock's USA website:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=Current

Yet the conundrum, if Current, is why doesn't it show when clicking AM3+ on the Main Menu
http://asrock.com/mb/index.us.asp?s=AM3%2b

EDIT: Most won't think nor bother to notice your way or the All Product List at the bottom.

Edited by wardog - 28 Nov 2016 at 1:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic