ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can no longer access BIOS settings on boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tragician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can no longer access BIOS settings on boot
    Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:12pm
Hi everyone,

I've had a Z170M-ITX motherboard in my PC for the last 6 months or so and have had no troubles until now. Recently I've been trying to boot a Linux Mint live USB and have had a number of what appears to have been video card issues preventing that. I've turned UEFI and similar settings on and off to try and get it working (with no success), but after my last tweaking of the BIOS settings I am no longer able to access the settings from boot.

It appears that none of the keys to access various BIOS settings (F2 & Del, but also F11 for boot manager) work at all now, with my PC immediately booting to Windows 10 after the initial ASRock splash screen. I've attempted to power cycle the PC without success, and tried a combination of wireless and USB keyboards (and USB ports) to check if that might have been the issue. All to no avail.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, how can I re-access the BIOS settings?

Thanks for any suggestions you can think of!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 10:35pm
Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

Failing that, let it BOOT to Win10, then D/L and install Restart to UEFI from the MB's download page.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170M-ITXac/?cat=Download
tragician View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tragician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 10:57am
I don't think I've reset it - how do I do that?

If that doesn't work I'll follow the second suggestion - thanks!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by tragician tragician wrote:

I don't think I've reset it - how do I do that?

If that doesn't work I'll follow the second suggestion - thanks!

Install Restart to UEFI. It's much easier and will guarantee you can get  into the BIOS.

Guessing here but I'd bet Mint's bootloader borked your boot config in the BIOS.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 5:27pm
Dear tragician,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

If you would like to get into BIOS setup, we provide some suggestions to verify:

1. Please refer to the user manual (page.23) from the link below to clear CMOS to try (Please shutdown the AC power). 

2. Only install the necessary devices ( CPU and one stick memory ) to check if the system can boot into BIOS properly.

3. Please refer to the link below and install Restart to UEFI ver:1.0.5, this utility could restart to BIOS setup in OS environment.

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD

tragician View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tragician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 6:43pm
Hi again,

I've installed Restart to UEFI and it gets into the BIOS settings, however I am unable to use my keyboard or mouse within the settings interface. I've tried all available USB ports and a wired keyboard, but none of these have worked.

It seems like the BIOS settings have somehow stopped recognising keyboard/mouse inputs. Is there a way to force it to recognise these, or will I have to somehow reinstall the BIOS to get it working again?
tragician View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tragician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:13am
Bump as I've received no response from Asrock tech support.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 6:16am

Lemme guess. Not meaning anything by this description, but a whiz bang gaming keyboard by chance?
CrashNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrashNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:11am

Hi again,

I've installed Restart to UEFI and it gets into the BIOS settings, however I am unable to use my keyboard or mouse within the settings interface. I've tried all available USB ports and a wired keyboard, but none of these have worked.

It seems like the BIOS settings have somehow stopped recognising keyboard/mouse inputs. Is there a way to force it to recognise these, or will I have to somehow reinstall the BIOS to get it working again?
I had the same issue yesterday. You must have switched off some usb option in UEFI. Under Advanced options->USB Configuration->Legacy USB Support  and switch to UEFI only or enable. I disabled that option and couldn't get to BIOS. Do you have any PS/2 keyboard? If yes, plug it in and restart to UEFI again, your "new" keyboard should work, then change the setting I mentioned above.
Here's a quote from my manual (Z270m Pro4):
Quote Legacy USB Support Enable or disable Legacy OS Support for USB 2.0 devices. If you encounter USB compatibility issues it is recommended to disable legacy USB support. Select UEFI Setup Only to support USB devices under the UEFI setup and Windows/Linux operating systems only.

Edited by CrashNB - 18 Feb 2017 at 7:24am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 11:38am

Given your mouse and keyboard refuse to work, you will need to clear the BIOS/CMOS.

This is the procedure to do that:

The PC must be shutdown/ shut off. The PSU power switch in the Off position. AC power removed from the PSU, unplug the PSU.

Open up the PC case. The Clear CMOS jumper is on the lower right side of the board, not far above the screw in the lower right corner. CLRCMOS1 is written on the board by the jumper.

Remove the jumper from the center and pin on the left, and move it over one pin so it is on the center pin and pin on the right side. Leave it in that position for a minute. You can also remove the battery from the board temporarily for a complete BIOS clear, usually not needed.

After the minute, put the jumper back on the center and left pin, the normal position. Connect the battery again if it was removed.

The procedure is complete. Put the PC back together, connect power to the PSU, and try to start it.

If you've been using USB 3.0 ports for the mouse and keyboard, don't bother. Use the USB 2.0 ports, since all keyboards transmit data at less than USB 1.1 rates.

If this still does not work, the BIOS was corrupted for some reason, and we'll need to see how we can update the BIOS without a working keyboard. Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic