ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASMedia USB3.1 not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:24am
Originally posted by FijiJohn FijiJohn wrote:

I should have provided more info I suspect, but not sure what else to say. I am using a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 and other than the 3.1 ports, I am loving this motherboard. The boot time and app launch times are really short. :) I am using both USB3 headers for four USB ports in the front. Just more convenient than using the ports on the back. I work on a lot of machines and do a lot with multiple drives so USB3 docks and front ports are really nice.

I just tried once more, using the ASMedia driver to remove the old one, reboot, and install 1.16.38.1 again. No change. Any other things to try?

Well, those USB ports should just work, the experience of no1yak with the MS driver is interesting. Intel 100 and 200 series chipset boards with Windows 10 will use the MSoft USB 3.0 driver on the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, and 3.1 ports. Unless we install another driver.

FijiJohn's and my same board uses the ASMedia ASM2142 USB 3.1 chip.

My Win 10 installation of course had the MSoft driver installed first, and I installed the ASMedia driver later. I see two entries in the Dev Manager Driver File Details, asmtxhcicoinstaller.dll and asmtxhci.sys.

I have default UEFI/BIOS settings in the USB Configuration screen, meaning XHCI disabled.

Very difficult to know if the chip is really bad, but it might be. If you insert a flash drive, and VERY carefully press on it in a horizontal direction back and forth, to test the contacts inside the socket and the solder connection of the USB 3.1 port, if you suddenly get a connection, you'll know there is a problem with the board most likely.

Otherwise, I'll just list some random ideas:

Installing the ASMedia driver again was successful? Right clicked it and select Run as administrator?

Are you connection devices directly to the USB 3.1 ports, or through a hub or extension cable? I know external drive will have a cable.

Did you check the Events tab of Device Manager for the ASMedia 3.1 Controller, for possible hints?

If you click the View All Events button in the Events tab, the Windows Event Viewer will open, and you can see the history of driver installations, etc.

Windows Power Plan, Advanced settings, USB selective suspend, set to Enabled by default. Try disabling it.

In the UEFI/BIOS, USB Configuration, Third Party USB Controllers should be enabled by default.

Also, Legacy USB support, enabled by default (mine is enabled), try disabling it.

OMG dude, you really are in Fiji! Shocked  I'll give you my board if I can be magically transported there!
FijiJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FijiJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:23am
*Installing the ASMedia driver again was successful? Right clicked it and select Run as administrator?
Correct.

*Are you connecting devices directly to the USB 3.1 ports
Yes.

*Did you check the Events tab of Device Manager for the ASMedia 3.1 Controller, for possible hints?
Yes. Nothing much there but the expected "Device deleted - Device configured (USBXHCI) - Device Started"

*Windows Power Plan, Advanced settings, USB selective suspend, set to Enabled by default. Try disabling it.
No difference.

*Legacy USB support, enabled by default (mine is enabled), try disabling it.
Working right now but will do so next time I reboot.

*OMG dude, you really are in Fiji! Shocked  I'll give you my board if I can be magically transported there!
Sorry, I am short of magic. However, I can tell you that life on a tropical island is quite nice. :) I am in Savusavu, on Vanua Levu, 2nd biggest town on 2nd biggest island in Fiji. Only major drawback is a complete shortage of anyone on the island who knows as much as I do about computers. (I have never considered myself an "expert", altho I employed some REALLY good coders and techs who qualified as experts. But, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.")
I'm retired and play with a laser engraver and wood shop when not out fishing (or working on somebody's computers that the locals can't fix). I do appreciate the suggestions. I kinda feel like I am back in Win95/98 driver hell all over again.
John
no1yak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no1yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by FijiJohn FijiJohn wrote:

Same Win 10 Pro x64, with latest updates here. However, in my case the Microsoft 1.10 driver (10.0.14393.0 rs1_release) does NOT work. I get the same behavior as with the ASMedia driver.

Have you contacted ASrock support ? They may suggest that you RMA the board.

One thing I have noticed is that the speed of their ports slows down the longer they are in use. I use Macrium Reflect to back up my system to a USB 3.0 HD and using an Intel port the transfer speed is very nearly constant. Switch to the ASM 3.1 and everything starts off OK , then slows down to a crawl, same  data and same USB HD.

I will admit that I'm not a fan of Asmedia, so I avoid using any of their stuff if at all possible.
Hope you get it sorted out.  

Pete.

Edited by no1yak - 21 Mar 2017 at 4:57pm
FijiJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FijiJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:16am
Thanks Pete. I went ahead and contacted support. They suggested I update the BIOS (after confirming that the 1.2 BIOS did indeed have that problem with USB 3.1. I have now done so and the 3.1 ports work fine. (I have not yet tested to see if I get a slow down, but expect I probably will see the same thing you do.)
Vinaka! ('Thanks' in Fijian)
John
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:05pm
Dear FijiJohn,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

On latest BIOS P1.40, we enhance the signal of the ports.

And we have tested lots of different kind of USB devices and all works fine.

Please refer below link to upgrade latest BIOS P1.40 for trying again.

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic