ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

What happened to Fatality X399 Bios 1.60?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

I agree, LurkerLito.  I have an open ticket with AMD about the down level AGESA.  I have even run into a situation where a memory vendor is not releasing their hottest memory for TR because they know it will not run with the current BIOS available to users.  Enjoy, John.

That is odd.

Memory vendors rely on AMD to supply the AGESA code and I highly doubt the mem vendors get first dibs at code before MB vendors.

wardog, what I report happened to me in an e-mail exchange with a memory vendor. 
In doing some search on this subject, I found testing being done in June with TR and AGESDA 1.0.0.6.  I can only assume AMD and the vendors have an NDA that allows testing on unreleased HW/AGESA/BIOS, so the kits I am talking about were tested, verified on later AGESA/BIOS, announced but not released, because we (users) do not have the code necessary to run them at speed.  Not kidding!  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:17pm
Didn't the description for the 1.60 UEFI version for the Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming have a warning in red text about RAID arrays? It also said there was a new RAID driver version, 9... something, and that RAID arrays created with the earlier RAID driver version would not work with the new RAID driver. Existing RAID arrays would need to be deleted and recreated with the new RAID driver. There may have been a new AMD RAID storage Option ROM in the 1.60 UEFI.

Found it in another thread:

1. Enables NVMe RAID support.
(Note: 1. If you update the BIOS and build the new RAID, it is necessary to install new driver V9.00.00.84.
2. If the RAID was built with old BIOS, it is necessary to back up the data and rebuild RAID with new BIOS and driver.)

This was the new X399 support for NVMe SSDs in RAID arrays. AMD announced this feature for X399 a few weeks ago. Apparently it is not working correctly, or there was more to it than what was contained in the 1.60 update. AFAIK, that must be why 1.60 was removed, as well as the new RAID driver.

LurkerLito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 2:24am
Quote im wondering if you set it to manual mode BUT havnt entered anything else then it will just behave as its supposed to ?

Actually after reading the PDF manual it turns out it was another setting in another menu that caused it. Advanced->AMD CBS->Zen Common Options->Core Performance Boost that has to be disabled or it will be trying to auto OC the processor it seems. So it happily lets you set your OC manually then it will try to ramp it up from there if that option is enabled (which it was by default).

My 1950x can hit 4.0 Ghz @ 1.32v and is stable but will throttle after about 10 minutes of running Prime95 when it hits about 80c with an Enermax TR4 360. So I might just clock a bit lower to 3.8 @ 1.25 which runs quite a bit cooler. Maybe I'll run 4.0Ghz in the winter and have it be my space heater. Wink
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 3:00am
LurkerLito, I am totally surprised by your 80 C on the Enermax Ligtech TR4 360 cooler.  I have done no stress testing yet but I do not expect anything near that on my TR4 240.  My idle CPU temperatures are about 35 C (AIDA64).  What method are you using to measure?  Aida64 also measures CPU power usage.  Do you know that?  I was waiting to get some good memory and AMD/ASRock get the AGESA/BIOS problems fixed.  Did you check the flatness on the CPU and cold block?  My CPU was very flat but the cold block allowed a piece of paper across the diagonal (about 0.4 mm).  I used Arctic Silver 5.  What TIM did you use?  Do you think you got a good interface?  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:16am
My idle temps are 34-35c and the block is very flat I didn't notice anything that might need to be lapped. The TIM is Arctic MX-4. I am measuring with Coretemp and it's not perfect as it can lag a bit in readings when prime95 is running but when the CPU started to throttle it was very noticeable since the temp dropped to the low 70c range. It's what I was expecting really I was hoping it wouldn't go past 79 but I guess the enermax AIO is just a little short of a full water cooling rig.

Running Prim95 right now with 3.8 @1.25 and I am about 10 minutes in and I seem to be at a stable 71c temp as it hasn't moved in a while (ambient is about the same as for the 4Ghz test ~80F).

Edit: Hmm not sure what happened, but temps dropped to 64. Maybe core temp isn't working right?

Edited by LurkerLito - 25 Sep 2017 at 5:19am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:25am
Thanks, LurkerLito.  I need to do some testing, but Enermax claims 500 Watt capacity and you should not need anywhere near that.  If my water block was very curved, I would have RMAed it not attempted to lap it.  I suspect lapping will void the warranty.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  You might try a trial copy of AIDA64.

Edited by MisterJ - 25 Sep 2017 at 5:25am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:43am
could it be you had a air lock or bubble in the water at first which has now cleared ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:38am
datonyb: I don't know how I could check for that with an AIO cooler so I can't really say. But I attributed my temp drop with the 4Ghz prime95 run to it throttling because it did hit 80 and and IIRC threadrippers generally start to throttle at around 80-85 range. But with the sudden drop at the 71c mark at 3.8 I just don't know why it would drop to the mid 60c range since it shouldn't be throttling.

MisterJ: I have Aida64 trial installed, I didn't want to put in my license data because I am just testing on a temp HDD that I am going to wipe soon as I feel things are good to go. Problem with Aida is I only see one temp for the CPU and not for each core. That's why I went with CoreTemp. It has a similar issue but if I load up the coretemp gadget it displays all 16 cores with load and temp values.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 8:11am
LurkerLito, I cannot find them in my licensed copy of AIDA64 either.  I will see if I can find out if they are available.  In past AMD processors core temps never worked correctly.  Enjoy, John.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:32am
Meh individual schmdividual.

It's just another thing NOT to worry over Wink

Next questions will be "What's wrong with my Core 3?" Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic