ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build unstability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:42am
Originally posted by johndms johndms wrote:

This is a new one. I think I see where wardog may be going with the suggestion of the AMD chipset drivers. This will also install the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan which will, by default, prevent the CPU frequency from dropping below 90% at idle.

It doesn't makes sense, but I guess if it only crashes at idle, I'm guessing Windows's default balanced power plan lowers the CPU frequency and voltage a bit too much to conserve power/reduce heat. I'm wondering if disabling Cool and Quiet, and C6 State would also stop this from crashing at idle as it'd keep the voltage from dropping so low.

John, you can lower the min CPU power state inside the plan to whatever you want. I have mine set to 20% and my CPU idles at 1550Mhz and goes all the way up to my max OC.

In my findings, theres seems to be a problem when Windows puts some devices, including the CPU cores, in a low power state mode.

You want to leave C&Q enabled for the automatic CPU power savings. Only disable C6 state to not let Windows shutting down your CPU cores.
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
johndms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johndms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by nangu nangu wrote:

John, you can lower the min CPU power state inside the plan to whatever you want. I have mine set to 20% and my CPU idles at 1550Mhz and goes all the way up to my max OC.

In my findings, theres seems to be a problem when Windows puts some devices, including the CPU cores, in a low power state mode.

You want to leave C&Q enabled for the automatic CPU power savings. Only disable C6 state to not let Windows shutting down your CPU cores.
I'm aware you can change it, but by default it's at 5%. This person's experiencing crashes at idle. My train of thought is Windows may be dropping the voltage too low.
Your findings may be correct and the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan by default prevents the frequency from going below 90%, instead of 5%, thus hopefully fixing the problem.
YOU may want to leave CnQ and C6 enabled, but it's not mandatory. While troubleshooting, it's sometimes necessary to give people additional options and suggestions to try should other ideas fail.
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:23am

Originally posted by nangu nangu wrote:

I'm aware you can change it, but by default it's at 5%. This person's experiencing crashes at idle. My train of thought is Windows may be dropping the voltage too low.
Your findings may be correct and the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan by default prevents the frequency from going below 90%, instead of 5%, thus hopefully fixing the problem.
YOU may want to leave CnQ and C6 enabled, but it's not mandatory. While troubleshooting, it's sometimes necessary to give people additional options and suggestions to try should other ideas fail.

5% default is the Windows balanced power plan, not the AMD Ryzen one. The AMD tuned power plan is 90% minimum, so you need to tune it if you want lower frequencies at idle.

I agree with you about suggestions, but try one at a time because all suggestions at once is a mess in the end, and you didn't find what was the real cause of the instability.

I suggested to try all of that at once because it's the only combination which worked on my end to avoid random freezes and mouse stutters at idle and after long sleep periods.

Cheers.
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
Cantine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cantine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 10:44pm
Thank you for your help guys,

I just reflashed the bios just to make sure

Installed AMD Chipset drivers

Set Ryzen power plan as suggested

Disabled C6 state and Cool'n'quiet

Will see how it holds and report back....
johndms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johndms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Cantine Cantine wrote:

Thank you for your help guys,

I just reflashed the bios just to make sure

Installed AMD Chipset drivers

Set Ryzen power plan as suggested

Disabled C6 state and Cool'n'quiet

Will see how it holds and report back....
I fear you may have combined two suggested methods of fixing the crashing based on my thoughts and ramblings. If you install the AMD chipset drivers, it'll install the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. If you're not overclocking the CPU and are using that specific plan, you will not want to disable Cool'n'Quiet or C6 State options. Those were alternative suggestions if the Ryzen plan didn't work; a "one or the other" scenario, but not both. Sorry if my thought process wasn't able to be followed. :)
Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:52pm
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4593&title=x370-taichi-goes-blank-code-00

Last few messages.
1. I change CPU to manufactured on 25 week.
2. I remove thermal pads "oil" around chipset.
Cantine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cantine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:59am

I fear you may have combined two suggested methods of fixing the crashing based on my thoughts and ramblings. If you install the AMD chipset drivers, it'll install the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. If you're not overclocking the CPU and are using that specific plan, you will not want to disable Cool'n'Quiet or C6 State options. Those were alternative suggestions if the Ryzen plan didn't work; a "one or the other" scenario, but not both. Sorry if my thought process wasn't able to be followed. :)

Thank you John,

I tried your two solutions separately, and it still chashed.

It's now freezing while playing games too... Monitor doesn't shut, but everything freezes.

I tried going back to bios version 2.5 and the crashes (monitor and keyboard shutting) were less frequent.
Cantine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cantine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Ivan_83 Ivan_83 wrote:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4593&title=x370-taichi-goes-blank-code-00

Last few messages.
1. I change CPU to manufactured on 25 week.
2. I remove thermal pads "oil" around chipset.

I'll have a look at it.

What do you mean by "change CPU to manufactured on 25 week" ?

What did you use to remove the oil?

Thanks
Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 2:01am
Ivan_83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 3:54pm
PS: AB350M Pro4, AB350 Pro4, AB320M Pro4 does not have thermal pad on chipset, there is some sort of compound, without oil. At least on mine AB350M Pro4.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic