ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Taichi x370 Windows 7 keyboard/mouse not working
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x370 Windows 7 keyboard/mouse not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi x370 Windows 7 keyboard/mouse not working
    Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:44am
Hello everyone,

I'm using a Ryzen 7 1800x combined with a Taichi x370 motherboard and I'm running Windows 10 on my M.2 drive. So far so good. I have another regular SSD on which I would like to install Windows 7 as a second OS. Now there are problems. I have tried installing Windows 7 from a USB drive, but as soon as the USB drive is initialized, the mouse and keyboard stop working and I can not even install the OS. After some research I figured that there's a USB patcher for the AM4 boards including the Taichi x370 on the Asrock website, and I included the necessary drivers in my Windows 7 installation files. Now I was able to install Windows using mouse and keyboard, and everything seemed fine.

However, as soon as Windows 7 booted on its own, the keyboard and mouse drivers apparently stopped working and I could not enter a user name. A friend borrowed me a PS2 keyboard so I successfully made it through the setup process. Using my HDD I was able to supply my new OS with the necessary LAN driver and finally I could start running updates. The updates were installed, but upon restart Windows gave me a popup message saying "Unsupported hardware", saying my processor is designed for the latest version of Windows and I would miss out several security updates because of that.

The main issue now is that my mouse and keyboard plugged in USB 3.0 ports are not recognized. I've tried running Windows Update again but so far to no avail, the message keeps popping up. Does anyone know how to bypass this issue? Considering Windows 7 is still officially supported by Windows I was surprised that apparently it was ditched by AMD. All the more confusing is it to me that Asrock supplies Windows 7 USB drivers for AM4 boards but these drivers stop working as soon as the OS is installed?

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
Asrock Taichi x370

I would really appreciate some help. I don't really know what to try anymore.

aleks
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:04pm
Windows 7/8 is not supported on AM4, the only official OS for Summit Ridge (Ryzen 1xxx) is Windows 8.1/10. For Pinnacle Ridge/Raven Ridge the only supported OS is Windows 10.
Some Linux distributions might work, those that have the latest Kernel's but dont try older ones.

Your only option is to install Windows 8.1/10
Or try to force a USB driver install, but that will only lead to problems, and you will have all sorts of problems anyway.

Cheers
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:36am
Cristy6100 is technically correct.  Microsoft officially supports only Windows 10 on Ryzen and later AMD CPUs and Kaby Lake and later Intel CPUs.  I have been running Windows 7 since June of last year on an X370 Killer SLI/ac system board and Ryzen 7 1700 CPU.  I do still use PS/2 connected keyboard and mouse, by choice.  To get around the "unsupported hardware" message from Windows Update, I use the utility from https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc  This has served me well since installation.

Jake
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
MattD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:52am
Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

Your only option is to install Windows 8.1/10
Or try to force a USB driver install, but that will only lead to problems, and you will have all sorts of problems anyway.

Cheers

Technically not true. I just installed Windows 7 on two Ryzen 7 systems and a Threadripper system with no troubles.

Originally posted by jdillipl jdillipl wrote:

Cristy6100 is technically correct.  Microsoft officially supports only Windows 10 on Ryzen and later AMD CPUs and Kaby Lake and later Intel CPUs.  I have been running Windows 7 since June of last year on an X370 Killer SLI/ac system board and Ryzen 7 1700 CPU.  I do still use PS/2 connected keyboard and mouse, by choice.  To get around the "unsupported hardware" message from Windows Update, I use the utility from https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc ; This has served me well since installation.

Jake

Technically true and I've employed this solution on 3 systems without issue.

Aleks, you have to go find Asrock's "Win7UsbPatcher" and embed inf files directly into the Windows 7 iso file you want to use.  It will take time.  Once this is accomplished, you will have full functionality in using USB 3 and 2 ports from the install process onwards.  I did this with an MSI board, using the MSI patcher and my x399 taichi board without failure.    Then go find that wufuc program that jdillipl said to use and you'll have full functionality of windows 7 updates, USB 3 ports  and the Ryzen hardware.

Do not use any other patcher than Asrock's patcher. I tried NTLite several times on several systems, each resulting in a failure. 

Manufacturers are now embedding USB 2.0 drivers inside the USB 3.0 drivers to hide them and force a Windows 10 upgrade.  I have a feeling that money was exchanged between them and microsoft.

To that end, I say good luck!
aleks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:32am
Thank you for all the replies!

Originally posted by MattD MattD wrote:

Aleks, you have to go find Asrock's "Win7UsbPatcher" and embed inf files directly into the Windows 7 iso file you want to use.  It will take time.  Once this is accomplished, you will have full functionality in using USB 3 and 2 ports from the install process onwards.  I did this with an MSI board, using the MSI patcher and my x399 taichi board without failure.    Then go find that wufuc program that jdillipl said to use and you'll have full functionality of windows 7 updates, USB 3 ports  and the Ryzen hardware.

Do not use any other patcher than Asrock's patcher. I tried NTLite several times on several systems, each resulting in a failure. 

Manufacturers are now embedding USB 2.0 drivers inside the USB 3.0 drivers to hide them and force a Windows 10 upgrade.  I have a feeling that money was exchanged between them and microsoft.

I downloaded Asrock's patcher, but how would I use it to put an inf file on the ISO? The Win7UsbPatcher creates a new ISO apparently with the necessary USB drivers. I've tried that and I could use my mouse/keyboard during the installation process, as stated in my original post. However, as soon as Windows starts booting on its own, these drivers are gone and I get stuck at this point. Sure, I can use a PS2 keyboard from then on, but Windows Update is unable to find the necessary drivers..
jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:44am
Did you look at http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html  ?  This has the instructions to follow.  Also, it seems you may not have installed the latest AMD chipset drivers (https://support.amd.com/en-us/download).

Jake
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
MattD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by aleks aleks wrote:

Thank you for all the replies!

Originally posted by MattD MattD wrote:

I downloaded Asrock's patcher, but how would I use it to put an inf file on the ISO? The Win7UsbPatcher creates a new ISO apparently with the necessary USB drivers. I've tried that and I could use my mouse/keyboard during the installation process, as stated in my original post. However, as soon as Windows starts booting on its own, these drivers are gone and I get stuck at this point. Sure, I can use a PS2 keyboard from then on, but Windows Update is unable to find the necessary drivers..

Odd... when I did it with option 'C', once the USB drive was detected, my USB mouse and keyboard worked from then on because windows 7 had installed the driver at setup. 
Asrock 990FX Extreme9, 8350x @4.6, 32GB, Samsung Evo 850, GTX 1080, 6 HDDs totaling 11 TB.
aleks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:45am
I just tried the whole process again. I created the patched iso file from my regular Win 7 iso. Using Rufus, I then unpacked it on a bootable USB drive and restarted the computer. I booted from the USB drive. It took a around 20 seconds for the system to detect the drivers, and I could move on to decide on which drive I want Windows to be installed.. I could set it all up using Mouse/Keyboard. Windows itself was installed successfully, but upon reboot it lost the drivers again, and I was stuck without mouse/keyboard recognition.. I really don't know what else to do. It's pretty straightforward in the tutorial and the drivers seem to work at first, but they're not transferred properly during the installation.

Edited by aleks - 05 May 2018 at 8:46am
MattD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 9:03am
Originally posted by aleks aleks wrote:

I just tried the whole process again. I created the patched iso file from my regular Win 7 iso. Using Rufus, I then unpacked it on a bootable USB drive and restarted the computer. I booted from the USB drive. It took a around 20 seconds for the system to detect the drivers, and I could move on to decide on which drive I want Windows to be installed.. I could set it all up using Mouse/Keyboard. Windows itself was installed successfully, but upon reboot it lost the drivers again, and I was stuck without mouse/keyboard recognition.. I really don't know what else to do. It's pretty straightforward in the tutorial and the drivers seem to work at first, but they're not transferred properly during the installation.

I didn't have success with Rufus, nor NTLite.  My explanation of what I did will be a different color...

Step 1
Insert the Windows 7 installation disk or USB drive to your system.
I stuck my USB drive into a computer that has the Win7Patcher exe and the iso file I used.

Step 2
Extract the tool (Win 7 USB Patcher) and launch it.
I ran the exe and it opened.

Step 3
Select how you want to install Windows 7 later.
From the first drop down I selected "Create a Windows 7 installation disk with a USB device.

Step 4
Locate your "Win7 Source Folder".
In this step, from the drop down I selected ISO file.
then in the box directly below it, I navigated to my ISO file. In this case it's Windows 7 Ult. SP1 x64 original.

Step 5
Select the USB storage, compact disk or destination folder for the new Windows 7 installation file.
from the drop down, I found my USB drive and selected it's drive letter. Then i clicked Next.

Step 6
Click ?œStart??to begin.
Then I clicked start.  I let the patcher not only Insert the drivers into the ISO image, but I also had it apply the ISO image to the USB drive.  I didn't use Rufus when it worked for me. 

Out of the 6 attempts I tried, Rufus/NTLite never worked for me. when I let the patcher handle everything, it worked. Good Luck.

Asrock 990FX Extreme9, 8350x @4.6, 32GB, Samsung Evo 850, GTX 1080, 6 HDDs totaling 11 TB.
aleks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 9:46am
Thank you for the detailed description, I really appreciate it. I'm currently doing what you said you did. It seems like the tool won't apply the image to my USB drive. It prompts me to format the drive and automatically opens Windows' built-in drive-formatting-tool, and I agree to format it of course, and it formats successfully, but then the Win-7-usb-patcher tool gets stuck. It's been saying "Formatting drive F: .... " for almost an hour now. I'll let it run through the night, though I'm pretty sure that the program got stuck at this point.. it has happened before, this is my second attempt already.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm done with this issue for today. If you have any more suggestions or ideas in order to fix this, it's appreciated. I'll keep trying tomorrow.

Edited by aleks - 05 May 2018 at 9:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic