ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

The hardest stutter to troubleshoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 3:05am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

well ever since dinosaurs roamed the earth ,and i started out with pc's

mis-matched ram has always caused some form of issue...............

id suggest going forward

get a matched pair of ram ,run the ram calculator and report back

I just pulled one stick of RAM and it still did it, though. So I don't really know if it is RAM that will be the problem here (as in unmatched pair).

mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 5:48am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

well ever since dinosaurs roamed the earth ,and i started out with pc's

mis-matched ram has always caused some form of issue...............

id suggest going forward

get a matched pair of ram ,run the ram calculator and report back

Here is a screenshot of the spikes (bottom graph, frametime ms). Every time there is a spike, the frametime shoots up. Please note: this happens with or without the monitoring software. Also when it is not installed.

https://i.imgur.com/nkuvFy7.png 

Edited by mpw90 - 30 Aug 2018 at 5:49am
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:27am

UPDATE

I secured the GPU in PCIe Gen 2 slot x16. Not the main PCIe Gen 3 slot. I loaded CS:GO and at splash screen, I noticed an increase of 120 fps (yes, I am not joking, what the hell?) I was hitting around 550-580 fps, when usually it is the low 400s. Even when I loaded the game, it reduced, but significantly higher in FPS.

YET, the stutters occured, and then I had a huge sequence of them and the system hard locked. This is exactly the same symptom I had with this board previously but with the PCIe Gen 3 slot. Previously, the Gen 2 slot was the only slot that would work.

Now, I am pretty convinced it is still the board. I have seen so many other horror stories about this board, and this is my 4th board after 3 RMA's in 6 months. Even after them asking me to change CPU (which I did), changing my GPU 3 times (1 time due to EVGA confirming a fault, and another testing an AMD GPU), and trying single sticks of RAM, etc.

Is it best to use Occam's Razor here and return this board for a final time, and change manufacturer? There is a chance it is the CPU. 

mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 5:30am
Changed RAM, changed SSD. Same motherboard. Far more stable, less stuttering, but it still exists. I cloned the SSD (so, it's not entirely foolproof plan).

I plan to next test the motherboard. If it is not the motherboard, then it is either the PSU or the CPU.
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 9:59pm
As can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/G3QbAsq.png -- the spikes are still happening, but to a lesser degree. This is after a new SSD and new RAM.
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 11:48pm
As per this thread: https://forums.evga.com/The-hardest-stutter-to-troubleshoot-m2850576-p2.aspx#2852897 ; -- I have attempted to run the kill ryzen script to detect hardware faults. I do not know if there are false positives with this, but I do get the error.

C:\Users\mpw90\Desktop\Stutter Solving\kill-ryzen-win-master>bin\x64\Release\kill-ryzen-win || exit /b

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

bzip2.c

Unhandled Exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Exception: FAIL

at kill_ryzen_win.Program.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<Main>b__0(Int32 x) in C:\Users\mpw90\Desktop\Stutter Solving\kill-ryzen-win-master\Program.cs:line 43

at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass17_0`1.<ForWorker>b__1()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvokeWithArg(Task childTask)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c__DisplayClass176_0.<ExecuteSelfReplicating>b__0(Object )

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForWorker[TLocal](Int32 fromInclusive, Int32 toExclusive, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action`1 body, Action`2 bodyWithState, Func`4 bodyWithLocal, Func`1 localInit, Action`1 localFinally)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.For(Int32 fromInclusive, Int32 toExclusive, Action`1 body)

at kill_ryzen_win.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\mpw90\Desktop\Stutter Solving\kill-ryzen-win-master\Program.cs:line 51
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 5:47am
Okay, as much as it pains me to say, I don't think it's the ASRock AB350m Pro4. Though, thankfully it's not. After 4 RMA's!

I tried the Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H and the stutters were still occurring. 

New motherboard frametime spikes 1 - https://i.imgur.com/WLzCW2z.png
New motherboard frametime spieks 2 - https://i.imgur.com/1zkMAHI.png

So, I am beginning to think this *is* the CPU.

So, I am at a loss still.. This CPU was manufactured in Malysia week 42 of 2017. 

If indeed this is an AMD issue, I would actually be kind of furious. This has been 6 months of struggling to find the cause. Whilst I would be relieved to discover it is indeed the cause (what else can it be at this point), it would be my second CPU, 4th motherboard, 3rd lot of RAM, 2nd GPU, 2nd SSD, and 4 or 5 installation of Windows, and maybe 3rd installation of Linux. 

Not to mention all the time consumed updating drivers, BIOS, disabling services, plugging and unplugging cables, and using the screw driver, and thermal paste, etc.
wino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:09pm
Which BIOS version do you have?
| AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac 10.08 BIOS | Ryzen 5 5600 | G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB @ 3400 14-14-14-28 | Zotac GTX 1050 Ti | Kingston KC3000 1 TB M.2 | SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W V2 |
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by wino wino wrote:

Which BIOS version do you have?

Currently, 4.90. Though, all of this testing has been performed on several versions, and 2 different motherboards.
wino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:54pm
1. Make sure that the CPU-Z shows agesa 1004.
2. If you use WiFi, try to use LAN and additionally turn off WiFi in BIOS.
3. Disconnect the second hard disk.
| AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac 10.08 BIOS | Ryzen 5 5600 | G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB @ 3400 14-14-14-28 | Zotac GTX 1050 Ti | Kingston KC3000 1 TB M.2 | SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W V2 |
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic