ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

The hardest stutter to troubleshoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

Are you playing in Fullscreen or Borderless Window?  Are you also attempting to run 144 Hz on BOTH monitors?

Fullscreen.
Yes.

However, this problem has existed with different monitors. Single monitors. No 144hz. It's not the monitors.

This existed far before having 144hz monitors, or even dual monitors.
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:29am
You aren't running Freesync, so turn it down to 60 Hz, and try with only one monitor again.  Use DisplayPort this time around ONLY.  Retest in Borderless Window. 

Edited by Reinvented - 24 Sep 2018 at 7:31am
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

You aren't running Freesync, so turn it down to 60 Hz, and try with only one monitor again.  Use DisplayPort this time around ONLY.  Retest in Borderless Window. 

I don't want to be rude here, but are we not reading, and just writing? I appreciate your attempt at helping me, but I feel that you didn't bother to read what I have written through this post.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:29am
OP, did you run http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon ?

You'll see some spikes in DPC or other odd behavior in this app, when your stuttering occurs. The app will tell you which module is causing this. Then, you can continue further.
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:53am
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

You'll see some spikes in DPC or other odd behavior in this app, when your stuttering occurs. The app will tell you which module is causing this. Then, you can continue further.

Hi, I have previously and ntoskrnl or nvidia drivers would often pop up. However, after trying *every* driver under the sun, I thought that maybe it's something that is processing the driver. 

I will do it again right now and reply.
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 4:17am

Please see attached images: https://imgur.com/a/LZJ4sCf -- it's worth noting that the largest peak on DPC when when loading the game, and when I tried to restart it again and alt tabbed to do so.

It *did* happen during this test, but only once.

Edited by mpw90 - 25 Sep 2018 at 4:18am
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:45am
Odd. I really don't like that GPU. Can others  with nvidia check their numbers?

To me it boils down to HW and/or FW, since you're having the stutter under both Win & Lin.

Can you please write down the detailed chronolgy of HW swaps you made? Something is fishy here. If I read it all correctly you didn't swap the GPU at all?

Also, could you hook up 2 monitors. Let latencymon run on one of them and try playing on the second. Check what spikes when the stuttering appears.

mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 6:51am

Odd. I really don't like that GPU. Can others  with nvidia check their numbers?

The current GPU is EVGA Superclocked Nvidia GeForce 1060 GTX 6GB. I will explain...

To me it boils down to HW and/or FW, since you're having the stutter under both Win & Lin.

Precisely.

Also, could you hook up 2 monitors. Let latencymon run on one of them and try playing on the second. Check what spikes when the stuttering appears.

This is what I was doing already. The spikes just appear as I'm playing. No firing, etc. Just running around.

Can you please write down the detailed chronolgy of HW swaps you made? Something is fishy here. If I read it all correctly you didn't swap the GPU at all?

I can. Let's go... (I've done this many times, but I think I need to clarify again for pure detail).

In January 2018, I purchased every single part and assembled this myself. 

The parts list included (swaps included in list):

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Replaced one time with vendor as per request of ASRock, and then once more last week with AMD - total of 2 CPU replacements, same chip)

Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Replaced 1 time with eBuyer due to hard freezing, and 3 times with ASRock due to hard freezing) -> I purchased a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H, too. I tried on this motherboard, yet the problems still existed. The current ASRock board seems stable. No freezing. BIOS is 4.90. Yet to try the 5.0.

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2400 Memory (2 x 8GB) (16GB) -> Changed to G Skill 3200mhz CL14 DDR4, running at 3200mhz.

Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  -> Changed to MX500 500GB SSD.

Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive -> Only used for external storage and diagnosing. Installed with and without. Tried Windows on it, too. Tried Linux. Tried it unplugged.

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card -> Used to be a 3GB but had thermal problems. Now 6GB, thanks to the lovely EVGA chaps.

Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case - Never changed.

Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Never changed. PSU meter shows it's in good working order. Never any power failure. 

Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter - Currently removed. Been removed for months.

Monitors: Acer - XF240H 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  x 2 - Used to be BenQ old 75hz LED. Also tried TV with HDMI. Changed all cables many times.

I also use a USB soundcard, which I have tried to test with and without, sadly without any notable changes. Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. 

My mouse is a Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1.

Each time I have changed a component, I have attempted to be methodical about how I go about testing. I have disabled a lot of Microsoft services since my latest install. I am still sadly experiencing the stutter. Though, I feel I am in a better position to diagnose the issue as so much software has been removed from the equation.

OH! It might be worth mentioning that I have tried with and without GPU monitoring software installed. I have also removed BIOS overclocks to my CPU and run at stock. I have also tried to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multithreading). My temperatures are good (30-50 at load), and never seem to exceed 78C when stress testing with Prime95 under the heat stress.

I have tried various chipset updates, network, audio, and ATA/ATAPI drivers. I have obviously disabled a looot of stuff.

But, obviously, if it exists under Linux, it would point to hardware.

I hope this helps. Any further questions, please ask.
LurkerLito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 7:28am
A weird stuttering in games? I had a similar issue and after a lot of searching I solved it by disabling the HPET (High Precision Event Timer). There are 2 ways to go about this:
  • Disable it in the bios (on the x399 Fatality I think it was under ACPI)
  • Disable it in windows with BCDEdit. Open a Admin command prompt and type:
            bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
    then reboot the computer.

This is a supposedly known issue when using a AMD motherboard with an Nvidia graphics card.

AMD 1950x; ASRock X399 Fatal1ty V2.00; 64GB(4x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 (running 3066); EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid; Enermax TR4 360 AIO
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by LurkerLito LurkerLito wrote:

A weird stuttering in games? I had a similar issue and after a lot of searching I solved it by disabling the HPET (High Precision Event Timer). There are 2 ways to go about this:
  • Disable it in the bios (on the x399 Fatality I think it was under ACPI)
  • Disable it in windows with BCDEdit. Open a Admin command prompt and type:
            bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
    then reboot the computer.

This is a supposedly known issue when using a AMD motherboard with an Nvidia graphics card.

Sadly, I had already tried this. But appreciate the reply.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic