ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

The hardest stutter to troubleshoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 2:25pm
I have no idea if this is the same stuttering you get.

Specs in sig. ASUS MG279Q 1440p 144hz freesync IPS monitor. I have 3 of them.

Back on win10 1709, when starting up the system, I would get 3 distinct "stutters" that each lasted about a second each when loading into the desktop (the mouse cursor would freeze, then play catchup 3 times). It also stuttered once when opening certain apps, such as a picture viewer for a jpg file, or opening a video with media player classic.

I found that less attached monitors caused less on bootup stutters. Windows 7 did not eliminate the stutters but they were a little shorter in length. Windows 10 1803 moved the stutters to between OS load screen and desktop login screen (usually hanging on a black screen or spinning pinwheel from OS load for a little time).

I tried a different NVIDIA video card (I think it was a 1060 6GB instead of the 1080 ti I have installed) and the stutters were the same.

The other paths I have yet to confirm is A: Try an AMD video card and B: Try different monitors. I can't do A as I sold my last AMD card but I may be able to squire another one soon. B is possible to try, but it's a pain to set up physically. Let me know if you have any feedback on my similar (?) situation.
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by ssateneth ssateneth wrote:

I have no idea if this is the same stuttering you get.

Specs in sig. ASUS MG279Q 1440p 144hz freesync IPS monitor. I have 3 of them.

Back on win10 1709, when starting up the system, I would get 3 distinct "stutters" that each lasted about a second each when loading into the desktop (the mouse cursor would freeze, then play catchup 3 times). It also stuttered once when opening certain apps, such as a picture viewer for a jpg file, or opening a video with media player classic.

I found that less attached monitors caused less on bootup stutters. Windows 7 did not eliminate the stutters but they were a little shorter in length. Windows 10 1803 moved the stutters to between OS load screen and desktop login screen (usually hanging on a black screen or spinning pinwheel from OS load for a little time).

I tried a different NVIDIA video card (I think it was a 1060 6GB instead of the 1080 ti I have installed) and the stutters were the same.

The other paths I have yet to confirm is A: Try an AMD video card and B: Try different monitors. I can't do A as I sold my last AMD card but I may be able to squire another one soon. B is possible to try, but it's a pain to set up physically. Let me know if you have any feedback on my similar (?) situation.

Good morning. I'm not sure if all of this is related to the problem I am encountering, I can confirm that I experience a similar phenomenon as you. 

I've already tried B. The stutter happens in games, but I don't know if the login issue is resolved in this setup. Here's what I have noticed, though. Try booting your machine, with monitors on, and do not login for something like 3-4 minutes.

Then when you go to login, I think you'll notice there is no hang or stutter. Which makes me think that it's NT Authority/System user logons that are causing the boot problem. Hope that helps.

mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 3:36am
One thing I have noticed: when I limit my FPS to 60, there is no stutter in the two tests I performed.

Edited by mpw90 - 26 Sep 2018 at 3:37am
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 6:09am
My say is dump that GPU. Get a 580 and call it a day. 580 are dirt cheap now with all the crypto hype dead.

My 1700X is driving my 580 Nitro+ just fine. More so, my Ryzen is also from the 'bad' Malaysian batch, but I have 0 issues with it, even under Linux (I crunch & compile stuff).

Plus, as one of the chaps above said, some nvidias are having bad times running on Ryzens.
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 7:40am
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

My say is dump that GPU. Get a 580 and call it a day. 580 are dirt cheap now with all the crypto hype dead.

My 1700X is driving my 580 Nitro+ just fine. More so, my Ryzen is also from the 'bad' Malaysian batch, but I have 0 issues with it, even under Linux (I crunch & compile stuff).

Plus, as one of the chaps above said, some nvidias are having bad times running on Ryzens.

Weird that you didn't get the compiler error. I had a Malaysian post-week 25 chip and it didn't compile. This one is from China, so I just assume that it works.

I have considered it. I need to get another similar quality card to fully test.

Edited by mpw90 - 26 Sep 2018 at 4:11pm
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 3:31am
Originally posted by mpw90 mpw90 wrote:

Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

Weird that you didn't get the compiler error. I had a Malaysian post-week 25 chip and it didn't compile. This one is from China, so I just assume that it works.

Well, I did get these errors initially, but as soon as I started RMA process, the mofos @ AMD dropped a fix in the new AGESA and the issues stopped. I had no ground for RMA afterwards. I just needed a few more days before this new AGESA... Angry

On your issue, I strongly advise you to try with another GPU, an AMD one preferably.
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 5:46am
Update: 580 didn't solve the issue, and had terrible coil whine.

Tried using Gen 2.0 PCI slot and didn't solve it either (for both cards).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic