ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Motherboard Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bFord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Motherboard Issue
    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 12:12am
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I was hoping I could find some input as to an issue I'm having while trying to build a computer for my son. The build isn't anything fancy. Just something that he can use to play games on that'll work on lower graphics settings for now, and he can upgrade components as he gets older. Components are as listed: PSU - Cougar VTX 450, Motherboard - Asrock b450 Steel Legend BIOS Ver. P3.20, CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 3200G, RAM - 2?8G G. Skill Ripjaws 3200mhz.

That being said here is the issue: I have a known good PSU. I've jumped the ATX pins and used a multimeter to verify correct voltages throughout the ATX and CPU sockets and the fan spins accordingly. I then installed the CPU w/ cooling fan, two sticks of RAM in slots 2 and 4 (although for this issue I don't think RAM plays a factor at all), and plug in the 24 pin ATX socket, 8 pin CPU socket, and 4 pin CPU fan header. When I power everything up the motherboard's onboard RGB lighting comes on but CPU and PSU fans do not spin and nothing else happens.

At this point I'm pretty sure the motherboard I got is faulty. I've tried unplugging and plugging in the connections multiple times and the same thing happens, the CPU doesn't even get to the point where it tries to POST.

Am I missing something here with this situation or does my logic sound correct? I don't have any other known functional parts laying around to try swapping things out, so I'm kind of limited as to further testing.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this long-winded post.
erylflynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erylflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 1:05am
You could test the fans to be sure they are good but the fact you do not get a post code or tone points at bigger issues. MOBO or CPU of course.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 1:58am
back to basics
take the board out of case
and lay it on the box it came with
next
plug in the cpu and heatsink
plug one stick of ram in slot a2
connect the 24 pin power plug from psu to board
plug in the 8 pin psu plug to board
this is all you need to test first boot

now without power to the psu from the wallsocket
remove the small shiney coin sized battery from the board
locate the two pins for front power switch on the board
and short them with a screwdriver a few times

this will now properly reset the cmos/bios

fit the coin battery again
plug psu into the wall
attach a monitor or tv to the board hdmi socket fit a mouse and or keyboard

now bridge/short the two pins for front panel power switch again

you should get the cpu fan to spin up and hopefully after 1-2 mins a display on the screen

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic