ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [solved] B650M/HDV.M2 BIOS memory stability issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[solved] B650M/HDV.M2 BIOS memory stability issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 11:07pm
I was finally able to get it to train (screen was black for a few minutes during training). After training, RAM was set to 4800 by MB despite my initial efforts to train to 5200. Windows was unstable at 4800 and would crash after a minute or two (see pic). So I had to rollback again to FW 1.30 AS05

I was an early adopter with the MB, which is why all components in this system are QVL supported. Using QVL supported Gskill memory, there should be no need to train memory anyway. To say this is frustrating is an unederstatement - I've been down this path before with a much older FW. Then I had opened up a support case and ASRock never responded. Not sure if I'll waste my time again because ASRock doesn't appear to test their FW against what they recommend on the QVL anyway. This will be the last ASRock MB I purchase and at work I will deny the purchase of any workstations configured with an ASRock MB due to their poor support.

ASRock X670E Steel Legend (ABA159EAF581)
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill F5-5200J4040A16GX2-RS5K
WD SN570 2TB
MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
Win 11 Pro
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 10:48pm
RAM support is a tricky beast, particularly since the IMC is located on the CPU
on modern CPUs. This means any change to the IMC or a CPU quality issue adversely effects
RAM compatibility. Another major issue is that RAM manufacturers will often change
the components of a particular model of RAM without warning or notification. It's
not uncommon to see 2 RAM modules of the same model number have completely different
physical RAM chips on them. So long as the RAM chips meet the technical specs
of the model they will change them (usually due to availability issues). I am
sure you can guess that this also hurts compatibility.

Fairly often, unless you are seeing a lot of other people with your board model
reporting the same issue, the problem is coming from the CPU not the actual board.
I have a brand new out the box 3600 that never worked with anything over JEDEC
speeds on any board I have tried it in. It's memory controller was borderline bad
right out the box. Unfortunately it had been sitting on a shelf for over a year
before I tested it so I missed my return window and AMD refused an RMA citing
that it worked as intended at it's rated RAM speeds.

As I said in response to your reply in essential's thread, make sure your support
ticket went through and that you received the automated confirmation email.
mrbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:06am
@Xaltar

Thanks for your response. FW 3.01.AS01 was released so I tried that with the same result - Windows crashes before loading so I'm back on 1.30.AS05 which is six FW updates earlier.

I ran into a similar problem a while back, but they corrected it on their own with a future FW update. I suspect the reason why there aren't many others reporting similar problems is because they are using different RAM or are just like I've been which is not reporting a problem for five FW updates. Regardless, I did submit a support request and did receive an email acknowledgement from them. So we will see if/when they do respond.

Have a good weekend.
ASRock X670E Steel Legend (ABA159EAF581)
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill F5-5200J4040A16GX2-RS5K
WD SN570 2TB
MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
Win 11 Pro
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic