ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Win 10 Won't restart, shutdown, or sleep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbmerrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 9:34pm
Hello,

It has been awhile, but I am now concentrating on this problem again. AMD wants me to test onboard nvme raid without the Ultra Quad, but this is a problem because my nvme ssds are installed in the Ultra Quad with some thermal adhesive strips sandwiching them in the adapter. I need to purchase a couple of additional nvme ssds to be able to test it according to their wishes.

Has anyone installed an O.S. on the Ultra Quad with 4xnvme ssds in raid(0) and successfully been able to restart, shutdown, and/or sleep the O.S.?

I would be very grateful for some additional advice.

Thanks,

B.
X399 Pro Gaming, 2990wx Threadripper,128GB G.Skill RGB 3200,EVGA 1200 P2,EVGA GTX 1080 Ti x 2 SLI, Enermax Liqtech 360mm,Samsung 970 EVO/960 Pro/850 EVOs, Toshiba x300 HDDs, Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
Squidder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 5:02am
Perhaps these are too obvious, but 2 ideas:

1) Have you verified with "powercfg /a" that hybrid sleep and fast startup are really disabled?

When I was troubleshooting a problem I had it turned out that even though both of these options were turned off in windows, when I ran powercfg it still reported them as on. I had to force disable hibernation as well (although it was already off, in my case) in order for hybrid sleep and fast startup to finally be truly disabled.

2) Have you disabled PCIe power management in the advanced power options?
jbmerrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbmerrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:08pm
Hi,

Yes, I did a powercfg /h off, but forgot to do a powercfg /a to verify. I also tried setting pcie promontory and pciex16 to gen2 followed by gen1, and neither of these helped. I did confirm that fast-startup was off, and hybrid sleep was disabled since hibernation was off. I got another reply from AMD stating that I still needed to test nvme raid on motherboard, without the ultra quad, but I don't know how I am going to do this since my nvme drives are sandwiched in the ultra quad with thermal pads. I will have to purchase two new nvme drives to be able to test according to their requirements. I am at work right now, and just lost my remote connection to my computer, so I can't do anything with it until I get home this afternoon.

Also, I am thinking of purchasing two WDC black nvme ssds (250gb) to test onboard nvme raid0, and am wondering if it would work to run those in addition to my SS 960 Pro (512gb) as a three drive raid0 array. Would the slight performance differences be a drawback for the 960 pro? Would I be able to use the leftover 250gb on the 960 pro as non-raid?

Thanks much for your reply, and I welcome any other suggestions.

Bryan

Edited by jbmerrill - 12 Oct 2018 at 10:14pm
X399 Pro Gaming, 2990wx Threadripper,128GB G.Skill RGB 3200,EVGA 1200 P2,EVGA GTX 1080 Ti x 2 SLI, Enermax Liqtech 360mm,Samsung 970 EVO/960 Pro/850 EVOs, Toshiba x300 HDDs, Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
jbmerrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbmerrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 11:04pm
Hello,

I have purchased 3 new m.2 500GB Samsung 970 Evo nvme ssds (many US $) and installed them on my motherboard. I have created new raid0 arrays after initializing the drives. I removed my ASRock Ultra Quad adapter card, and installed Windows 10 public release, first to a 3xnvme raid0 array, then on a 2xnvme raid0 array. Using the latest sata and nvme raid drivers, windows will still not restart, even after the initial copying of files during installation.

After creating just a 2xnvme raid0 array, I installed windows to the third, single standalone nvme, and restart etc. worked just fine. I then updated the 3 samaung nvme drivers to the raid driver bottom device (required to be able to see / access the raid0 array). After this, windows would no longer restart, shutdown etc. So, there is definitely something wrong with either the AMD raid drivers (this is what I assume to be the problem), or with the ASRock x399 Professional gaming motherboard.

I was able to get the standalone installation to restart, shutdown, sleep, by installing the Samsung driver and updating the correct device to this driver (raid bottom I believe).

Any advice or info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

B.

Edited by jbmerrill - 22 Oct 2018 at 11:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic