ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme 4 not supported - Help needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme 4 not supported - Help needed
    Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:03pm
Help needed for a non techie - Issue following Windows7 upgrade. When booting up following error received "Driver Disk Preparer v1.08 - ASRock Incorporation, all rights reserved Model Name: Z170 Extreme 4 This model is not supported!"
PC will not boot up at all - how do i  fix?
Gearoid
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:41pm
Did you follow the proper steps at:
http://www.asrock.com/microsite/win7install/

Windows 7 does not come with some USB drivers that are needed at setup on all Z170 motherboards.
Gearoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 5:04am
Thanks for your reply. So just to put context on this, this is a new PC build completed in December, worked perfectly , with Windows 7, until yesterday when a user was prompted to run W7 Updates. Following this can't boot up PC and get the earlier driver error. One thought was to try reinstall W7 but can't do it. When you boot up PC it asks to Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key. Does this mean I need to find a driver for Z170 Extreme 4 and load it, if so can it not be done from disc received with ASRock MB?, which by the way we have tried but keep getting the original error. All help appreciated

Gearoid
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 5:41am
OK, I maybe fudged some when reading upgrade in your orig post.

I'll ask first this time Embarrassed

By what means is the upgrade being introduced? USB Thumb Drive?

Was the ASRock 3TB Unlocker installed to support boot drives over 2.xTB ?

I myself will pass this one up to MY tech contacts at ASRock. So please bear with me while i ferret out some details from you.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:07am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I myself will pass this one up to MY tech contacts at ASRock. So please bear with me while i ferret out some details from you.

hhehehehe, I just Googled your """Driver Disk Preparer v1.08 - ASRock Incorporation, all rights reserved. This model is not supported""

You ready for this????

Take the included Support CD out of the ODD. It's attempting to boot from that, as that BIOS must be set for an ODD to boot first.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3129280/drivers-disc-model-supported.html
Gearoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:27pm
Thank you for your response. I will check that this evening when home. I know that currently when no disk in ODD , machine looks for one to Boot Up. We then put in Driver Disk from ASRock but no joy on that. I will check Boot order and make sure not booting up from ODD but I suspect we covered this already. My worry is when we put in Windows 7 as a boot disk it did not seem to recognize our Hard Drive or find any available drive to install to. Anyway will check tonight and let you know. Thanks againClap
Gearoid
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Gearoid Gearoid wrote:

Thank you for your response. I will check that this evening when home. I know that currently when no disk in ODD , machine looks for one to Boot Up. We then put in Driver Disk from ASRock but no joy on that. I will check Boot order and make sure not booting up from ODD but I suspect we covered this already. My worry is when we put in Windows 7 as a boot disk it did not seem to recognize our Hard Drive or find any available drive to install to. Anyway will check tonight and let you know. Thanks againClap

I can't understand how Windows 7 was installed on that board originally without preparing a fixed installation media as described in the link below. This is required if any USB hardware is used during a Windows 7 installation:

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html

The ASRock driver disk is NOT what is needed for this problem, and won't help at all. It really does not make sense that a Windows 7 update would even cause the problem you described.

What kind of ODD drive is being used? Is it a SATA ODD? If the ODD is connected by USB, then that is the problem. You must add a USB 3.0 driver to the Windows 7 installation media, as that is the ONLY USB driver the Intel 100 series boards will use for the USB ports. That is described in the link above.

Gearoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 5:39am
Guys this is beyond my technical abilities, can I solve this nightmare by installing windows 10? 

Gearoid
Gearoid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:10am
Only offered SATA3_5: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS as Boot option in BIOS. Is this my DVD drive only, am I missing my hard drive ?

Gearoid
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Gearoid Gearoid wrote:

Only offered SATA3_5: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS as Boot option in BIOS. Is this my DVD drive only, am I missing my hard drive ?

That is your LG internal DVD drive.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic